Nex adapters from Ebay

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Tand, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Tand

Tand New to TalkEmount

Jan 21, 2013
    Are the adapters from china on Ebay good enough?|Tried to order from rainbowimaging. But no succes ordering. So when browsing ebay found many similar adapters for a few dollars less.
    Are these good to use?
    Anything i need to watch out for?
  2. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Had quite a bunch of different mounts, always bought cheap Chinese ones. Not one issue to this day :)
  3. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Many of us here successfully use (even prefer) the cheap adapters from China or Hong Kong... with no problems at all. Long shipping times can be a problem though depending where you live.

Some have reported infinity focus issues due to manufacturing discrepancies but this is not something I have experienced personally.

I've been told that Sony had granted an open license to their E-mount interface design, so in todays world of CNC manufacturing these adapters can be made cheaply with a reasonable degree of precision. In fact, these cheap adapters is what encouraged me in the first place to dabble with legacy lenses.

I normally stick with the Fotga brand because I'm happy with the various ones I've used in the past. However, I did encounter a problem with their Olympus OM mount version. The mount doesn't 'click-lock' into place because the small recess that the NEX release pin drops into is in the wrong place due to a CNC programming error. I've already put this to their attention and I believe the manufacturer is addressing this problem now. But be aware the there are Fotga Olympus NEX adapters floating out there with this issue.
  4. Aslondon

Aslondon TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 12, 2012
    Florida Panhandle
    I have been very satisfied with the Fotodiox brand.

5. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    I have a Kiwifotos model, is made in China too. But you have a real manufacturer brand when you have any issues...
  6. scinkk

scinkk TalkEmount Regular

Jan 9, 2013
    Czech Republic
    I have two Fotga adapters - Canon EOS and M39 - they are very good - This week (I hope) I get adapter labeled as Prost (cheaper than fotga a little) and two noname adapters
    Dioptrick: thanks for the Fotga Olympus OM reference - I wanted to buy one than I need it so I will find another
  7. Derichuk

Derichuk TalkEmount Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    The only adapter I have is the Novoflex e to f mount. Build quality is great, it as the built in aperture ring for g series lenses, but I paid dearly for it. I didn't really mind because it was in stock at my local camera store and I got to test it out and I didn't want to take any chances with my lenses or my new preciou Nex-6.
  8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    I have four adapters, one expensive and three cheap. I can not tell the difference, seriously, I have no idea which one was the expensive one.
  9. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I have bought cheap noname adapters for Konica AR, Olympus OM, Canon FD/FL, Leica M, and Minolta MD/MC. The only one I had problems with was a Pixco Canon FD adapter that had a tiny bit of horizontal play when the lens was supposed to be locked in (although as far as I could see it did not affect the image quality, but it did make me nervous with my heavier lenses). It is also ironically the most expensive of the adapters I bought (it was my first one).
  10. Skipperjonce

Skipperjonce TalkEmount Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    Bought a Fotga for my MD Minolta 50mm

Arrived in 10 days to WA which in my experience is bloody good! Seems to work fine too - no issues.
  11. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    Most adapters from China, work very well, I had a loss of a shipment, so after waiting four long weeks went astray but the seller sent it to me again, that is bad, very soon we lose patience.
  12. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    ^ Sorry to hear Freddytto.

I usually get mine in 2 to 3 weeks, but for some reason (perhaps a global Christmas freight bottleneck because so many people buy gifts on-line these days), my last two adapters took 5 weeks!!! That's crazy way too long. :(

Most of the adapters I buy on eBay are listed 'Free-shipping' but I suspect this is economy mail. Next time I buy and adapter, I will request to pay extra for Priority Air Mail. I think the extra few dollars of postage will be worth it if it speeds things up a bit.
  13. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Not in my experience sadly. :(
  14. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    I had the same question (or "fear") about the cheap made in China adapters when I was to buy my first one...I was pursuaded to try the cheap solution and after using it for 2+ months I have no complains at all (well, atleast only that the shipping from the far east takes a lot of time) ;)
  15. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I just ordered for Nikon, one for Minolta. I made sure they were both US sellers so the shipping time should be faster but there's been more than one time when I ordered several items all from different sellers, one being from China, and the one from China got to me before the stuff in my own country. I just hope that my adapters are really coming from in the US and get here by next week as my NEX-6 body should be here by beginning of next week too.
  16. Nagenk

Nagenk TalkEmount Regular

Jan 16, 2013
    I have Minolta MD mount and Pentax K mount adapters both are from Rainbow imaging. They are inexpensive and till date has not posed any problem any of my manual lens. Even focus to infinity is supported.
  17. Tand

Tand New to TalkEmount

Jan 21, 2013
    Thanks for info guys. Buying chinese goods are similar but could take a long time coming. Well i am patient and will go for it.Thanks.
  18. scinkk

scinkk TalkEmount Regular

Jan 9, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Uf finally I get Canon FD and Minolta adpaters :) I already thought the package is lost - one month from China ( it usually takes only over one week). Adapters Prost brand are a little suprise - they fit on e-mount very well, like original lenses and better than noname adapters and Fotga (and are cheaper), nice surface finish, maybe lighter weight. One noname Canon FD adapter is on its way so Im going to compare them.
  19. Tand

Tand New to TalkEmount

Jan 21, 2013
    For better speed get the ones shipped form hongkong. Much faster than from china.
    Also dont buy during chinese new the xmas, new year, thanksgiving all rolled in one. will be even slower for delivery.
  20. sipsik

sipsik New to TalkEmount

Feb 22, 2013
    I've got - Nikon+MD+m42 adapters from rainbowimaging
    Paid $29 for all. Good quality, no issues so far.

They are cheaper on their own site then on amazon.