1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

NEX-7n at the reliable rumor stage

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Jefenator, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Just saw on sonyalpharumors.com that the NEX-7n will very likely be officially announced next month, with numerous refinements.

So, what are all your thoughts?

For my part, I am still very satisfied with my NEX-7. I could spend another 5 years, just honing my skills to be worthy of this tool. The improvements hinted at sound nice, but nothing I couldn't live without for another year. My inclination might be to skip this upgrade and hold out for a NEX-7r or whatever they call it in another couple of years. And of course, I'm very keen on the proposed full-frame NEX as well.

2. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    What improvements, that's all the question ?! Better IQ ? Not interested, the 7 is already better than I need. Now MUCH improved AF speed would be the biggest thing, as well as yet better customization of controls and better balanced menus.
    I don't need any gadgetry, bracketing options, filters, apps, bla bla. I'm an old school photog who shoots digital exactly as if it were film, get it right first time or ditch it and try again, no safety net. Jpeg only, one exposure, no gimmick.
    All I ask for is full time exposure preview (which NEX already does beautifully), direct access to exposure settings (check) bounceable built in flash (check). Give me FAST autofocus, a 3:2 ratio screen, 1:1 in camera, CUSTOM SETTING BANKS, let me put Format and Peaking settings in custom screens, that should be it :)

3. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Ooh, my plan to torture myself by waiting a WHOLE month before buying another camera (read NEX) may pan out in my favour then :)

4. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Bracketing is nice for those of us that like to do HDR once in a while. In camera HDR is junk, I want to do it outside the camera and need more than 3 exposures to do so. AF speed definitely needs a boost. Filters and apps, I agree, no need. I'd love to see 1:1 aspect ratio. I was disappointed with the 6 to see I only had two options. Throw the same hot shoe as the NEX-6 on top. And one thing I'd also LOVE to see would be a front and rear adjustment wheel DSLR style rather than side by side. All this doesn't matter since the price point will be stupid and I won't be able to get one for a couple years anyways. By then, something even better will be out so it's all mute for me.

5. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    10$ you won't wait 30 days until getting another NEX ;)

6. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Ha ha. I will now I've read the rumours ;)

7. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Not so. The 7n will hit the stores in May, and will be steeply priced. You won't wait that long ;)

8. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    I'm not waiting to buy a new one, just the current model at knock down prices :p

9. scinkk

scinkk TalkEmount Regular

Jan 9, 2013
    Czech Republic
    The dynamic range improvment in shadows sounds great... sony A58 will be announcement soon and 7n can content the same sensor

10. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I might be interested in a new 7x.

Better bracketing already comes on the 5n/7 with a firmware update, so the new 7x should already have that.

The only app I'm interested in is the intervalometer one - I have never been impressed enough with the Tempus or GentLED. And the Pclix is just way too expensive. I'd gladly pay $10-$25 for an app where I can dial up all the settings directly on the camera.

I'd love to get the Tri-Navi interface sorely lacking on the 5n.

PDAF like the 6 would also be a must. Improved PDAF even better. :)

Anything else, such as better IQ, or DR would be gravy.

11. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    It will be exciting to see what it does turn out to be. Even if I have the cash, I'll be waiting for the new APS-C Nikon to be announced.

12. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Ouch. That may take a while. Nikon's head is taking a loooong time to come out of their butt regarding mirrorless. Seems they're having a very hard time figuring the V/J whatever is not the way to go...

13. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    A58 reported to be announced tomorrow (4am London time) not that anyone can agree on that!

14. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    The A58 actually looks surprisingly good looking. First time in ages I look at a DLSR with mild desire (meaning, with any desire at all)

15. scinkk

scinkk TalkEmount Regular

Jan 9, 2013
    Czech Republic
    What lens will be in 7n kit? :) SEL1650 or some new? :) I bet on a new lens :)

16. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    Sony have been promising a new high performance standard zoom with their 'G' branding almost since the first launch of the NEX cameras. It was initially scheduled for late 2012 and was then kicked back into 2013. It would seem likely that this lens could be launched with the NEX-7x as a high end kit lens option.

You can see the current version of the E-mount roadmap at the Sony Japan website. If anyone reads Japanese please translate and let us know what the text on the right concerning Zeiss and G lenses says.

17. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Actually it's believed that they are announcing a fixed lens APS-C camera this week and an interchangeable lens camera later this year. There's also talks about some new mirrorless DX lens patents being filed which would coincide with the announcement of the new EVIL camera later this year. Not to say these cameras won't be much if any better than the first attempts, but at least Nikon isn't throwing in the towel, yet.

18. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Great news. Originally, I wanted to simply buy two of the CZ lenses and skip a new body, but I just want a VF so badly, so I'll skip one lens and go for the body instead.

What I wish for? Well, clean 4.2.2 HDMI out (just like the Nikon D5200 - which is MUCH cheaper!). That's all. Faster AF, a better 24MP sensor (not the 20MP one, please), a better EVF and a somehow refined control scheme (right now, the down-button on the 4 way dial does nothing AND is not programmable afaik) would just be great!

Biggest question is the price. NEX-3N will be priced 399 body only (or would be because there's no body only option for the 3N), the 5R costs about 599 and the 6 about 699. Now - does Sony really want to go back up to 1199 body only? I sure hope not so. 999 would be a nice price for nice features, imho.

19. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Can't imagine a new NEX-7n will be less than $1000 body only.

20. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I can't imagine they're able to deliver enough to sell it at a 500 premium over the NEX-6 while still maintaining good value for the customer. IF they get clean HDMI out, I'll pay whatever they want. But they won't, so it will be interesting.