NEX-7m vs NEX-7

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Poki, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    So, the NEX-7 is now a year and a half old, and its successor should be released in some months. But the original NEX-7 is still a great camera which now costs "only" 900€ and I'm sure some of you consider to buy it now.

What do you expect the next NEX-7 to feature and do you still consider buying a "old" NEX-7? Because I do, but I think I'll wait to see what Sony comes up with.

2. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    Well, I've been shooting with my trusty NEX for a couple of years now and I've just reached the point where I'm looking for a replacement. I've been considering both the NEX-6 and the NEX-7, but leaning towards the 6. If the 7 were to fall enough in price when the 'new' 7 comes out it might be back on the radar but Sony does a lot of 'price controlling' here in the US so it probably won't fall that much.

What might tempt me to a new 7 is if Sony don't do too much with it: an evolution of the sensor, and evolution of the viewfinder, the new hotshoe from the 6, and Sony addressing the problem of magenta casts with UWA lenses.

3. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    If it's only an evolution and they will price it 1200€ body only like the current NEX-7 in the. beginning I'm going to buy the current one which should cost only 800 by then.

4. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    The only truly needed improvement for the NEX system is AF. And I'm not talking placebo effect upgrade as in the 6, but real fast AF. Dang, Fuji has just cracked it with their newly announced releases. If Fuji can have fast AF, everybody should ;) !

5. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Is fast AF the new high MP or high ISO? ;) I'm quite satisfied with the AF-speed of my NEX-5, and the 7 felt faster every time I tried it. But what do I know - I use it only occasionally, and for landscape photos it's not a big deal - and for macro and video work MF is better anyways.

The only things I'm really waiting for is a better video codec, a built-in flash that can trigger other Sony flashes (why, oh why did you take out this feature off the NE-7, Sony??) and maybe a slightly better IQ and EVF.

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    For me, as an owner of the first gen. Nex-5, even the "old" Nex-7 offers so much more than my 5 (particulary, I need a viewfinder in my life).

I've been looking for a replacement too - the plan is: a) to buy a (used) 6 or 7 if I manage to save enough money or b) buy a (used) 5N if money is tight.

For my personal photography experience/level I feel that the Nex is more than enough and can't really ask for anything more than what the current 7 is offering (maybe only faster AF).
    But I would also be very interested to see what Sony is planning for the 7 replacement :)

7. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Well, I may be able to get enough money to either buy the 12mm and 50mm Zeiss lenses or the NEX-7 (old or new) and the 50mm CZ lens - hard decision ... But yeah, I miss a viewfinder too. :(