1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

nex 7 vs a6000

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by alaios, Nov 30, 2014.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all,
    for the most "experienced" ones... do you have any idea why the nex-7 has a very similar price tag (ebay) against the a6000?

Why nex 7 still keeps up so good against a so newer model, that is a lot spiced up?

Regards
    A

2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    PS:
    Your title says "a6000" but your post says "NEX6"...might want to clarify one or the other.

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
  4. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    The NEX-7 has a better IQ at base ISO, the tri-nav controls, and better build quality than the a6000.

For some users these features may outweigh advances that the a6000 offers such as improved AF, the more 'modern' updated menu, and a normal hot shoe.

• Like Like x 1
  5. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    so the nex 7 does not have a normal hot shoe? I can not use my nikon flashes?

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Don't forget that the A6000's initial price tag was MUCH cheaper than what the Nex-7 used to sell for when new...

7. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    it does not...IIRC the NEX-6 was the first to use a conventional hot shoe. You would have to use an adapter for your nikon flashes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Sony changed the hot shoe on the latest cameras to the conventional ones.

Unless you are shooting mf all the time, af improvement makes A6000 the best camera for its price range. Check this comparison of A6000 vs other mirrorless cameras that are selling for 3 to 4 times of A6000 price:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up8K_xd_iwU

• Like Like x 1
  9. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    The Nex-7 has the Bionz image processor. -------------- The a6000 has the Bionz X image processor.
    The Nex-7 has the Minolta deticated hotshoe design. ------------ The a6000 has Multi-Interface flash shoe. ( while most flash guns or speedlights will mount this does not guarantee sink)
    The Nex-7 has a metal shell camera body. --------------- The a6000 is made of composite materials. Some claim it is less ridged then the nex-7
    Nex-7 ISO range 100-16000 -------------- a6000 ISO range 100-25000
    Nex-7 has 25 multi-point contrast-detect points. ------------ a6000 has Hybrid AF system with 25 contrast-detect and 179 phase-detect points
    Nex-7 viewfinder has 2,359,296 dot resolution ------------- a6000 viewfinder has 1,440,000 dot resolution.
    Nex-7 max shutter speed 10fps ------------- a6000 max shutter speed 11fps (Claimed) ( ive never reached that)
    Nex-7 battery life 350 images (EVF)~430 images ( LCD) ------------ a6000 420
    Nex-7 has a mini jack for a Microphone. --------------- a6000 does not
    Nex7 menu is graphical navigation ----------------- a6000 menu style goes back to the days of the a100

*I have found the video record button location on the a6000 to be very awkward. the location on the NEX-7 seems much better.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Do you have any links with comparison images showing this?

• Like Like x 1
  11. OldNoob

Oct 30, 2014
    I would be interested in seeing those as well.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Here you go gentlemen. From Imaging-resource a6000 review.
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-a6000/sony-a6000-image-quality.htm

at ISO 100 they say:
    "Another interesting comparison, as the NEX-7 is the flagship of this storied line, and from these comparisons you can certainly see why. There's better clarity and higher contrast from the NEX-7 in the first two crops though it shows more obvious sharpening halos, and slightly better reproduction of the difficult red fabric swatch. The A6000 does take the nod in the pink fabric swatch, but a slight nod to the NEX-7 all around. It will be interesting to see what happens below as ISO rises."

By ISO 1600 and 3200 it is very close to my eyes.

You can look at many images using their comparometer tool (I find it to be handy), especially the still-life images at different ISO.
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

• Like Like x 2
  13. OldNoob

Oct 30, 2014
    from the camparometer of that same site. Not really a fair comparison, according to the exif data the NEX-7 image is taken with a 100-300mm lens compared to the a6000 image taken with a 50mm f1.8 oss.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  14. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    ^^^thanks oldnoob! That is disappointing, as it makes it an apples - oranges comparison. Who knows what is going on since they used different lenses. Sigh. :doh:

• Like Like x 1
  15. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary

Note - The NEX 7 burst rate is without auto-focus. With auto-focus it is 3 frames per second.
    Also the NEX 7 lacks wireless features like wifi and NFC.

There is really no need to compare. The a6000 is a more capable camera despite the more premium build quality of the NEX 7. To answer the OPs question. the only reason people are trying to sell the NEX 7 for the same price as an a6000 is because they paid twice as much when they originally bought it. Honestly, anyone who buys a NEX 7 for the same price as an a6000 does so for subjective reasons;not objective reasons.

That said, if you have an opportunity to get a NEX 7 at a great price, jump on it, because it is still an awesome camera.

• Like Like x 1
  16. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks guys... I think nex-7 allows more customization (more direct controls with less clicks) which is think that appeals me more... If I am not wrong still a6000 might require two clicks or more to change a setting.

Still though I do not understand market prices.....

Lets see how things will evolve

17. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    That goes both ways. Although I can't think of many things you would do where the NEX 7 is 1 click and the a6000 requires more. The a6000 has just as many custom buttons as the NEX 7 and has a much more intuitive menu system The a6000 also has memory recall, which to my understanding the NEX 7 does not. This allows you to program all kinds of settings and recall the whole setup in one click. That same thing could require several clicks and turns on a NEX 7.

Also need to add a6000 has immensely valuable auto ISO in manual mode.

• Like Like x 3
  18. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    In addition to this, I think with the a6000, you can program the 2 control dials change Aperture, SS, ISO, or EC. I don't have either camera but I think the programability of the a6000 makes it pretty flexible from a controls standpoint. It has 7 buttons (if you include rear dial d-pad) so you can customize to change just about any setting you like. Honestly, I prefer the setup of the a6000 for a control layout. I like having a mode dial and the memory banks are really nice when you need to change a lot of setting quickly. I had this on an old Minolta 800si film camera and it was a life saver at times. The only control missing that I think would be nice is the AF/MF/AEL switch/toggle.

19. OldNoob

Oct 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  20. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    Oldnoob, this is not a firmware update it is an third party app that uses the infra red to trigger the shutter. You need to buy the infra red doggle to go with the app. Looks like a good solution for remote work though and will work on all cameras with infra red.

NEX7 doesn't have wifi and a firmware can't change that.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

• Like Like x 2