1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

NEX-7 verses Fujifilm X-Pro1

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by macjim, Jan 29, 2012.

1. macjim

macjim TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    I have the NEX-5N and had thought about moving up to the NEX-7 but, with the announcement of the Fujifilm X1Pro that has changed my mind. Obviously, the Fuji is not out yet so I can't base my reasons on having held one in my hands and no tests have yet been done to see how good it is, but it impresses me more than the NEX-7. Why? Well, it's designed like a tradition camera and has manual focus, aperture controls on the lens and manual controls on the body making it much easier to us than the software based controls on most modern cameras. Yes, the NEX-7 has the tri-modal controls but they are more fiddly to use.
    Certainly this new Fuji camera will give Sony a good run for their money : what do you think?

2. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I'm actually in two minds about it as both cameras has their strengths and weaknesses, without a doubt the Fuji X-Pro 1 is an amazing camera (based on what I've seen so far) but until it gets officially released and numerous hands on reviews are made I will hold off in ordering one. The NEX 7 on the other hand is also a fantastic camera but also has it's particular quirks that I'm not too impressed with.

Viewfinders:
    I'm a big fan of electronic viewfinders (some people prefer optical, so this will be a matter of personal choice) there will always be an issue of lag but the ability to apply filters (b/w, sepia, etc..) , white balance (sunny, florecent, etc..) and tones (high contrast, low contrast, etc..) directly to the image being shot really does help visualise the image you are trying to capture. The Fuji X Pro 1 has both OVF and EVF, I think this is quite novel idea, however I think that's what it is, a novelty, changing the lenses on the Fuji X Pro 1 will change the magnification value of the OVF (depending on the lens' focal length) via a sliding magnifying glass, that's exactly like an EVF but you also get the WYSIWYG effect with the filters, tones, and white balance. EVFs-wise the NEX 7's EVF is still the one to beat IMO.

Sensor:
    Both cameras sport an APS-C sized sensor, The Fuji X Pro 1 has a 16 mp compared to the NEX-7's 24mp. The Fuji X Pro 1's sensor however uses the 6 x 6 colour array pixel set arrangement and does away with the traditional 2 x 2 Bayer system, this reduces moire which lets them omit the anti aliasing filter altogether, the end result is images with no resolution loss. I've seen some of the images taken from the Fuji X Pro 1 in flickr, and all I can say is the IQ on the images surpases ANY APS-C or FF sensor camera BAR NONE. The NEX-7's 24mp sensor is no slouch by any means, however there has been reviews stating that it is prone to noise due to the high amount of megapixels. The NEX-7's sensor also has the magenta colour shift issue when used with wide symetrical designed lenses, not sure with the Fuji X Pro-1 on this as it still remains untested. Sensor-wise I'll have to say that so far I like the Fuji Pro x 1's sensor.

Autofocus speed:
    N/A, I never use em ;)

Price:
    Both cameras cost an arm and a leg, actually the Fuji X Pro 1 is more expensive so it'll cost an arm, a leg, and a kidney.

Lenses:
    So far one of the biggest criticism with the NEX series is the selection (this is now changing though) and the quality (with the exception of the Zeiss) of their lenses, while it's not terribly horrible, its nothing to write home about either, I feel that it's difficult to take advantage of the NEX-7's excellent sensor because of the NEX's native lenses. The Fuji X Pro 1 's initial lens selection is mainly composed of primes (this really appeals to me being mainly a prime shooter) with aspherical elements, a redesigned curved aperture blades and a proprietory Fuji super EBC coating that will make the lens very sharp corner to corner, free from CA and barrel distortion. The aperture controls for the lenses are also located in the lenses themselves (which I prefer) as opposed to the NEX-7 which is controlled within the camera. Though I can only speculate on the quality of the Fuji X Pro 1's lenses since I have not personally used them, however I have used Fujinon lenses in the past, and if those lenses were anything to go by, then I can confidently say that we can expect a LOT from the Fuji x Pro 1's lenses.

There are other issues like personal aesthetics such as styling, controls, function, etc.. but this is long enough as it is and I wont make it any longer, I'll just say that this will depend on who's holding the camera, either one will be fine with me as I find both have their merits and flaws.

With that said, I'll be taking delivery of my NEX-7 this week (hopefully) and I'll wait until the Fuji X Pro 1 becomes available for everyone one to have a 'real world' hands on review on it. This should give me more info and help me decide if I'll go ahead and purchase one or not.

Hopefully my liver will be healthy enough by then so I can sell it on the blackmarket to fund this camera.

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Phoenix said almost everything you need to know. But to the ultimate answer, we're have to wait for real reviews. I somewhere read the AF is extremely slow, others wrote it's just "okay", some said the 18mm lens is nothing to be happy about, others don't like the camera menus. But everything is just based on videos and - from some very lucky guys - early pre-production models. So it may be great, it may be just good enough, but we have to wait if Fuji can deliver a as solid camera with as good value as the NEX-7.

4. lowincash

lowincash TalkEmount Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    Yeah Phoenix said most of it haha

I think it's two different cameras for different kinds of people. Some might like the cool retro look and some some might like more modern look of the 7. The thing with the x-pro1 is it's pretty darn big from what I've seen in videos. And I don't find their available lens' focal length that attractive, except for the 35mm 1.4 which I like. People call it the poor man's Leica and I think that's what Fuji is going after.

In all honesty, I would take the 7 over the x-pro1, not just because I have the 7 but because I don't like the size of the xpro1 lol Before looking at the 7 I was actually going to get the X100. I went to the store, tried it out, and that thing did not feel comfortable in the hand. It felt bulky and performance was slow. Then I knew it's not my kind of camera. The 7 on the other hand, feels great in the hand and is more "ME" :D

5. Pelao

Pelao TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 8, 2011
    Phoenix covered most of the points I would raise. I am currently very interested in both cameras.

I get the impression that the Nex 7 controls are in fact very, very effective. I think they are the best balance so far between traditional controls and the advantages of digital.

This doesn't mean I think they are better than the Fuji controls, but I do feel the two are dramatically different and that time with each will be required.

I have little doubt about the IQ of wither, even though the Fuji has not yet been fully examined.

The Nex 7 is possibly a bit more versatile, with the variable screen etc.

I don't shoot video, and I am a Prime guy, and though I truly admire what Sony have done with the 7, I am leaning toward the Fuji - but I really want to read some user reviews from real photographers.

6. lapdog99

lapdog99 TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Colorado
    And then there is (will be...) the new Olympus... One thing that does tease me about the LeicaLike cameras is the reduced chance of inadvertently changing
    a setting. I wish the NEX-7 had a lock all/unlock toggle mode. Still waiting for the 50 1.8 to become available, although I kind of wish it was a 24 or 28.

7. Pelao

Pelao TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 8, 2011
    Most reviewers have mentioned that the two top dials are nicely notched and hard to move accidentally. The ISO dial can be locked by holding down the Fn button (top plate) for a few seconds. Not sure if this helps your concerns.

8. lapdog99

lapdog99 TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Colorado
    I appreciate the info. I knew about the ISO dial lock, but my problems have been more bumping EV. The video button is the worst problem,
    so I am trying to be more aware, when I am not focused on shooting.

9. Pelao

Pelao TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 8, 2011
    I read about the video button being easy to knock - hopefully they will provide an update that allows you to lock it.

10. lowincash

lowincash TalkEmount Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    My problem is that my palm will sometimes hit the ISO dial and change the setting. I set the Fn button to lock the ISO dial since I don't have any problem with the two top wheels.

11. macjim

Aug 10, 2011
    It's the same with the nex-5n's video button, very easy to press when holding the camera.

12. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I agree, the Fuji could be very nice, but are you willing to wait six moths to get one.

13. Pelao

Pelao TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 8, 2011
    Well, I am never in a rush because the new camera will not suddenly make my old one a bad camera. I would rather wait a few months to get the camera I want, than compromise due to a little impatience.

14. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I came across a forum thread from DP review about the comparison between the Sony NEX-7 and the Fuji X Pro 1, and while it's filled with the usual trolls and detractors there are some comments that are really insightful and worth considering, particularly posts from TiagoReil, while he does (imo) ever so slightly favor the NEX-7 he does raise some very interesting points regarding the NEX-7 and the Fuji X Pro 1. You can check out the thread here

15. macjim

Aug 10, 2011
    PS. I understand video takes a back seat with the Fuji as there isn't a video button on the body. Fuji seem to be making this camera a 'camera' of the old school. It does do video, it's just in the menu somewhere.

16. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Thanks for the link Phoenix... I've learned to appreciate my 5N even more - some good insights there for sure. Pity about the bickering tho...

17. pictor

pictor New to TalkEmount

Sep 8, 2011
    Many thanks for the link, his posts were highly interesting indeed. I think that he is completely right and I would also prefer the NEX-7 to the Fuji exactly because of his reasons.

18. macjim

Aug 10, 2011
    Well, I've decided to go for the Fujifilm X Pro 1 as I think it had the edge over the nex-7 even though I haven't read any reviews. I'm still hanging on to my nex-5n and the two lenses as I like the camera but I feel the nex-7 isn't for me. Don't know what it is about the nex-7, it just doesn't grab me. I will get the 35mm f1.4 lens giving me around a 50mm lens but if I need wider or, a zoom, I still have the Sony for that.

19. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Lens, aesthetics, and finders aside, I'm really interested in what the X-Pro 1's sensor can produce.

20. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    Interestingly, I haven't accidentally changed the ISO at all. I do wish Sony would allow the ISO control to be reassigned to one of the upper wheels. I rarely use exposure compensation, which IMO, would go better in the lower jog dial/control wheel.

As for the Fuji XP1 v. NEX7, I found it humorous that folks were complaining about the pricing of the Fuji. Assuming all the Fuji lenses are quality lenses like the one on the X100, the three initial lenses are priced at $600-650, which is $400 cheaper than the Zeiss 24 (which apparently is going up to $1100 next month). In short, put a quality lens with the NEX7, and the price ends up being more or less the same as the Fuji + one lens. Those folks at DPreview kept comparing a cheapo kit zoom with a fast prime. No comparison there.

As for the size difference, smaller is not always better. For example, because the NEX7 is so thin, I am actually finding it hard to manually focus a small lens like the Voigtlander 35/1.4. My left hand is actually pushed against my face when I'm manually focusing the lens. When using a chunkier camera like the M9, there's some separation between my face and my hand -- which is good! :)