Nex-7 successor...

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by NickCyprus, Jan 9, 2014.

1. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Thanks for the heads up.

Gotta say, if this is true that they're going to name it A7000, then it would seem Sony's going with Axxxx for all the APS-C E-mount cameras, regardless of form factor, and Ax for the full frame E-mounts (all two of them so far). Axx, of course, still reserved for A-mount (as was Axxx before that). Seems a bit limiting to me, but what do I know? Does the current NEX-5-series become A6000, and the NEX-6 becomes a naming anomaly?

I know... what does it really matter what they call them, as long as they are good cameras and are well featured for their price point.

3. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Yeah that was my thought too. But perhaps they are actually merging the 6 and 7 lines with a 20MP sensor. I'd think the 5 line would continue not only because it is Japan's top seller but also because for some reason accessories don't depreciate in price like bodies - whereas a 6 sold at $400+ is not much more than a kit lens and the EVF - which means the margins are retained on the accessory line and Sony would not want to kill that off completely.

• Like Like x 2
  4. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    • Like Like x 1
  5. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes and think what it will do to Nex 6 and 7 prices! Cyberfoto (Swedish mail order company) has 7 for 566 Euro right now. 566 Euro may be too much if next model costs 800 Euro and 6 should be even lower.

I don't have 800 Euro to spend on new body but something like 450 I can stretch to. Of course if I quit drinking beer for some time (beer is about 5 Euro per 1/2 l glass here so 800 Euro is roughly 150 beers) ... .

6. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I've been sort of expecting Sony to merge the NEX-6 and -7 models in the next generation - as quezra noted above- for awhile now. There seemed to be a lot of overlap in features between the two. And if the feature set is a good combination of the best of both, and then some (I'm thinking A7 feature set on APS-C instead of FF), with the body potentially priced at 800 Euro, this could make for a VERY attractive step-up model later this year for those of us toting around entry level NEXes like the -3N or my own A3000. ;)

7. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    Joel,

I think that your guess of a 20mp sensor is going to be right. More than the 6, less than the 7 (but respectable, and the equal, at least in pixel count, to the RX10). They need to demonstrate some sensor improvements (low light and exposure range) and that would be more difficult above 20mp. I think we can expect their on-sensor phase detection. And, Sony won't want the new camera to get too close to the a7(R).

And from my wishlist: In-camera stabilisation would be a plus. I know it's hard to do in such a small body (Sony, please keep a small body); but the collaboration between Olympus and Sony needs to bear some fruit.

Oh, yeah, Sony, don't forget to keep the Tri-Navi

• Like Like x 2
  8. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Not likely I know, but personally I'd prefer a A7/R style body instead of the usual Nex-style body. Better grip, better EVF placement IMHO

Also, Sony please include more customizations options on buttons (so less menu dive-in) and faster FPS/less delay between shots

• Like Like x 1
  9. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Thanks Bill, I've become convinced the '7' replacement will be a R version of the '6' replacement - same body makes a lot of sense for accessories, support, production costs, etc. Which features they pick and choose from the 6 and 7 will be interesting to see, but I'm sure the tri-navi will return - but possibly with some changes from fitting the PASM dial on it. If they move some things, it will take some getting used to (sort of like driving a new car with the signal and wiper sticks switched), but worthwhile in the long run (I was tempted to make the directional dial as either aperture or shutter dial as on my 5N, but in the long run, the native locations on the A7 are sensible and much easier to avoid making mistakes).

• Like Like x 1
  10. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I'm very curious on how they'll improve on the formula. I'm not aware of any APS-C sensor better than the NEX-7s 24 MP one, nor I'm aware of any EVF better than the 2,4m dot OLED one in the 7. Will Sony come up with something new? We'll see.

As for the body - the NEX-7 body is perfect, at least for me. What could be better? One position of the 4 way dial is pointless (the exp. compensation one), as it's always assigned to a dial on the Tri Navi. That could be changed for flash mode or whatever. But else? The grip is awesome, the EVF placement is nice (even for a left-eyed guy like me) and I honestly doubt the build quality can be much better at a price point of 800. Also, it's as customizable as I want it.

Things that actually could be improved: Use a better video codec with higher bitrates, dual SD card slots and a faster AF (although I personally am totally fine with the current AF speed). Doubt number 1 and 2 will happen, as not even the A7/r feature these things. So in the end I'm glad I bought a NEX-7, as I seem not to see too many things that could be improved on it. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I think quezra may have something there, based on the precedent shown by the A7 and A7R. A NEX-6 replacement that includes a 20.1MP sensor, taken from the a3000 and a5000, but upgraded with the hybrid OSPDAF tech seen in the -5R, -5T, -6 and A7. And then a -7 replacement with a 24MP (or higher?) sensor with (or perhaps w/o?) the hybrid AF tech, and perhaps w/o a low pass filter, as for the A7R.

Of course, who knows what Sony will actually do... they've surprised and confused us often enough lately that I should probably stop speculating.

Then again, does A7000R really work as well as A7R or RX1R?

12. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Whereas I perfer the NEX style.

Lets hope they continue both.

13. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
  14. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I think every camera ever announced has had "the best AF" of its kind. :p

No doubt those who need lightning-fast AF will still be unimpressed, and those who don't will be unable to tell much (if any) difference. And then the next "best-AF" camera will be rumored. And 'round and 'round we go!

In the mean time, I'm getting much better at manual focus than I ever thought I could be.

• Like Like x 2
  15. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    It's a NEX-6 upgrade, not a NEX-7 successor, unfortunately.

17. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    Absolutely. I think that rumors of this being a NEX 6/7 replacement are wrong. It's just a NEX6 replacement, the NEX 7 comes later.

Here are the first pictures. It looks pretty much like the NEX 6 with a NEX 7 like sensor.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/

18. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Looks like a great camera, at a great price.

Hybrid of the 6 and 7, with the step down shutter button of the F3.

While not interested in giving up my 6, I am glad to see the NEX form is not being given up on.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    True. However:

I don't think that's true. What makes the 7 is the Tri-Navi, and I won't buy any camera without it now that I'm used to this great control scheme.

20. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    It's a combo of the 6's stacked control wheel and the 7's Tri-Nav.

What if they never use the Tri-Nav again?