NEX 7 stops during recording -- overheating?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by cooltouch, Dec 7, 2015.

1. cooltouch

cooltouch TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 17, 2014
    I just read a thread here about the NEX 7's video recording shutting off as soon as 5 or 6 minutes into recording because of overheating problems. This seems odd to me. Today, I was having issues with my NEX 7 stopping during recording and I didn't know what was going on, so I came here to look for answers. My NEX will last from about 12 minutes to as long as 17 minutes before it will halt. Although sometimes it will halt after only a couple of minutes, even if the camera has been sitting for a while.

I read one post where a guy who RTFM'd stated that Sony recommends a Memory Stick to prevent overheating. Yeah, of course. Then why does my camera have an SD card slot, eh? Anyway, I just pulled the SD card and had a look. It's a SanDisk Ultra PLUS 32GB with a 48 MB/s transfer rate. So, is my camera working as "well" as it is because I have a fast SD card? And I guess if I'd like to further improve upon things, I should buy a Memory Stick, I suppose, eh?

On another, sort of unrelated topic, I've been trying to find out if it's possible to control my NEX 7 from my computer via the camera's USB connection. I haven't found anything in the NEX 7 Handbook about that. It doesn't appear that the latest version of Play Memories Home has the capability either -- or maybe I've just missed it?

2. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    NEX-7 has issues with overheating. Mine never has but the longest continuous video I've take was about 7 minutes.

I don't believe you can control from computer but I may be wrong.

The real strength of the camera is stills - especially at base ISO. NEX-7 at ISO 100 with good exposure and a great lens is hard to beat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I've seen the guy who mods his nex by removing the panel behind the LCD and adds a micro fan. I wouldn't recommend it but if you shoot a lot of video...

4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Wow! and LOL!

5. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Check Out the Video

6. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I thought I saw an accessory back or attachment of some sort that was made for the NEX-7 video overheat issue...can't remember exactly

7. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    This one maybe? For a 5N but cannot see why you could not do this for a NEX-7 as well...

8. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Well, its been a couple years, but I would have remembered a photo like that and it doesn't jar anything back to memory...maybe all I did was read a text post about something being in the works to try and handle the problem.

9. cooltouch

cooltouch TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 17, 2014
    Very interesting! Well, what I started doing today was running a stop watch. This is just a test video for the most part, so no big deal. Today, I was able to complete it finally by breaking up the recording into roughly 10-minute long segments. I set my phone to "stopwatch" mode to make sure I stay on top of the time as it goes by.

Fractal, I agree. I consider then fact that my NEX 7 does videos at all to be a plus. I bought it to use as a still camera -- mostly, in fact, so I could use my old legacy manual focus lenses with it. I have a pretty nice collection of Canon FD and Nikon F that I've been having a lot of fun with. Also Pentax K, and M42, and M39 and C-mount . . .

• Like Like x 1