NEX 7, still worth buying?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by lenshoarder, Dec 20, 2013.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    The NEX 7 is now under $1000 for a pretty good bundle. It's 2 years old though with a successor on the horizon and the A7 out. Is it worth that or should I suck it up and save up for a A7?

2. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Compare the difference in price against the additional features you would get with the newer model. If those differences are 'worth' the extra price to you, then get the new model. If not, then the older model is 'still worth buying'. Personally, it all comes down to expectations. If you have no expectations out of a camera, then 2nd generation discounted models are usually fabulous value for money. It only gets complicated when you have certain expectations (ie. stuff you want to get out of it).

• Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Everyone was crazy about it when it came out and it is still a great camera today.

I know I am looking at either a 6 or 7 after Christmas bonus comes today.

4. radimere

radimere TalkEmount Regular

Apr 2, 2013
    I'm still satisfied with the NEX-7. It hasn't exactly been eclipsed by the A7/A7R unless you're after the full format advantage (subject isolation and lower noise). Besides, I've moved to full format once before, on Nikon—the expense (not to mention bulk) will be primarily because of FF lenses, not bodies. APS-C E-mount is much more compact and economical as far as system costs are concerned.

5. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    Have they stopped making the NEX 7 already? I called all 4 of the Sony stores by me. All are OOS on the NEX 7. One called up the chain and she said she couldn't even get a body sell.

I think I'll wait for a refurbished A7. My local Sony outlet sells cameras at a third off for a refurb. They have the R1 for around $2000. An A7 refurb should be around $1100.

6. Shutterdad

Shutterdad TalkEmount Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    Dallas, Texas
    Just saw a used one in my area on Craigslist for $345. I'm not looking for one but thought it was interesting. Then again we all know what can happen when buying from there.

• Like Like x 1
  7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    People give Craigslist a hard time, and there have been some bad examples, but these are rare.

I've had quite a few transaction, all peaceful and successful.

As with all things, be smart and safe.

8. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Gadget Circuit in New Jersey still has the NEX-7, $859

9. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    In making this decision, the first questions are do you need and can you afford full-frame as a system. Yes, the new bodies are smaller, but the lenses will be bigger (and more expensive), particularly when they make them faster and drop in stabilisation.

If APS-C suits your purposes, then the NEX-7 is a great camera.

10. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    I only use legacy glass with my NEX. I have plenty of that.

11. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    If you can wait just a bit longer, it might be interesting to see what the new APS-C flagship model has to offer (whatever they're going to call it…)

There will of course be bells & whistles like WiFi & NFC, which I think are fun but not in themselves worth many extra hundreds of dollars.

The upgraded processors, color rendering and EVF might well be worth it for some.

… and if not, you should be able to get some extra-super-scorching bargains on the NEX-7 after the replacement finally comes out! :biggrin:

12. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    I was hoping for that. Sony normally slashes the prices of the old models in half overnight when the new models come out. But I think Sony is doing something differently this time. I don't think there were a lot of NEX 7's out there to begin with. Seems they have slowly been drawing them down. All my local stores are OOS and say they can't get more.

13. pworden

pworden TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    B&H still has their bundle deal of NEX-7, 18-55 & 20 + case $999

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I paid €600 for a 'new' NEX-7 (it was taken out of the box once before, but I'll count that as new), and honestly, I don't think it will get that much cheaper when a new model launches. I mean - it IS already half the prize.

15. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    I've been keeping an eye on that. The sale was supposed to have ended on the 31st but it keeps on going. Definitely feels like a clear out the warehouse for the new model sale. Sony is out of stock on their site.

Someone on DPR posted an article comparing the A7R with a NEX 7 with turbo lens using legacy glass. The A7R is better, but not by much. He brought up that a A3000 with turbo lens should not be that much off from an A7R if using legacy glass. I only shoot legacy glass. I initially thought about getting a A3000 in lieu of the NEX 7. It's still kinda of cheap although the price has started moving back up after the Christmas low. It bottomed out at $270 but is pushing $280 now. It's back on my mind as maybe the best solution for my legacy lenses.

16. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    It is not A3000 price going up but dollar value going down issue. Out of three currencies (YEN, USD and EUR) yen value is going up and euro too but not so much relatively to dollar. It seems that Chinese are increasing their prices in dollars but euro prices are about same, for example.

Ebay.de has got a3000 for 200 euros (body only). Would be really tempting but I am pretty much stuck to Linux right now and getting new motherboard, processor, memories, graphics card and Win 8 would cost 600 euros and I really don't need it for other purposes than raw development of a3000 files.

17. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Is there really not a single RAW converter in Linux? And: Shouldn't it be sufficient to buy Win8 and a hard drive to install it on? The computing parts are the same for any OS anyway.

18. pworden

pworden TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    B&H deal lists $100 B&H Gift Card, too. Don't recall if that was there before Dec. 31.
    I wonder what the announcement on Monday will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    It's been there all along. I too only noticed it last week but looking back, it's been there since they put up the deal. I really wish Sony had matched it. I tried asking but they said they wouldn't, only the $999 price.