1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nex-7 soon - what to watch out

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by NickCyprus, Jul 4, 2013.

1. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I will be (finally) upgrading to a NEX-7 from my Nex-5 in about 20 days
    I was offered an killer deal but since I'm buying a used one (thus no warranty), I would like to ask what are some common faults/other issues I should look at upon examination

TIA
    -Nick

2. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    I've had no problems with it so far. Physically, I would check the screen, the mount and the sensor. Then flick all the switches, press all the buttons and take a couple of photos?

The only problem I have with the 7 is that I accidentally hit the on/off button all the time. This means that sometimes the battery goes flat because the camera is accidentally on, or that I miss the occasional shot because it's accidentally off. But that's a design flaw in my opinion. It doesn't happen on any on my other cameras.

3. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I only ever had problems with accidentally Turing on the video button. Make sure you have the most recent firmware that allows to to turn it off if you want.

4. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks guys ;)

I made a deal with the seller that I'd keep the camera in my possesion for atleast a day so I can test all its functions before I buy it.

I'll keep you posted ;)

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Oh man, I'm jealous! Back in february, I found a new NEX-7 body for €820 - cheapest price I've seen so far. But I told myself I should wait for the successor, because it was supposed to come in april ... Whatever, have fun with your NEX-7! Definitely the best NEX body, and if it's just for the control layout.

6. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks
    No need to be jealous :D

I am a little worried for the fact that its a used camera but on the other hand I really can't afford spending $800+ for a new one.
    Problem is that I already sold my 5 so if the used 7 is not good, I end up with no camera :(

7. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    You shouldn't worry. Most photographers are pedantic with their equipment. A lot of the used stuff out there is as good as new.

The 7 is a delight. Big performance in a small package.

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Smart, very trusting on the sellers side.