NEX-7 setting focal length / live view boost

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Christop82, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Christop82

Christop82 New to TalkEmount

Aug 24, 2017
    new nex7 user and I can't find out how to set the focal length for manual lenses.
    I'm also wondering if it's possible to boost the live view? When stopping down to reduce the exposure the screen gets so dark it's difficult to use the focus peaking.

2. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    I'm not aware of being able to set the focal length for manual lenses on the Nex-7. I also don't have a manual for it either since I bought it used.

I just went thru the menu and there is a place to set the LCD brightness, but it's for Sunny Weather. Might help.
    I have mine set up for Yellow peaking color.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Christop82

Aug 24, 2017
    I thought that may be the case. I'm not sure what effect it has anyway. I thought it may help achieve infinity focus with a few lenses, probably not.

4. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    Setting the focal length on my A7ii only helps with the stabilization, not infinity focus.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I'm confused - Why would you want to set the focal lenght for manual focus lenses anyway? What's its purpose?
    As long as I am aware, you would only need this for setting the correct IBIS but the Nex-7 doesn't have IBIS anyway...

You can instead of brightening the LCD, to use a different level for the focus peaking.
    Also try different colors. I don't know what color you use, but for me red worked the best :)

6. Christop82

Aug 24, 2017
    I see now it's not necessary. Coming from stabilized bodies I just thought it was a standard. I would like to be able to do it for exif data, but oh well.
    I'll try adjusting the peaking settings, but that's not really what I was looking for. I guess I need to realize how old the nex 7 is and that it's going to lack a few features.

7. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I don't know if the NEX-7 has focus assist magnification, but that will be a great help for infinity focus. Actually in any focus situation. As Nick stated, red peaking color works best for me as well. Set it to minimum to reduce false in-focus shots. Try to shoot via the EVF, especially in bright daylight. If you have to use the LCD screen, there should be a bright sunlight mode. Also, to brighten the image of Liveview, you can invoke the built-in flash which assumes you're in dark conditions and it will brighten live view to max for composing. Once you've got it all composed and focused, push the flash back down and take your shot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Yes it does and its a big help to fine tune focus at any depth, not just infinity

• Like Like x 2
  9. grillec

grillec TalkEmount Regular

Mar 19, 2015
    If I remember correctly the A6300 was the first "NEX-size" camera where the focal length setting is possible (or better the setting of minimum shutter speed). At older cameras the A-priority setting could go down to 1/60s, what is a problem for focal lengthes longer than 35mm handhelded with legacy lenses. So I had to switch to S-priority every time.
    The 'Live View Display' who is responsible to present the correct exposure like it would be on picture or neglect this for dark environment or flash shootings was added with the NEX-6.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    The NEX-7 has a setting to enable/disable Live View. As did the 5N, my first Sony NEX. I just now double-checked the manuals on the Sony site to be certain.