• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

NEX-7 Review Sightings

adanac

TalkEmount Regular

Will update this post, ordered chronologically, with any reviews spotted.

Melv

TalkEmount Regular
I've only managed a quick look at the samples from Imaging Resource, but the resolution and detail at 100 ASA at least, is amazing!

adanac

TalkEmount Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Written by a person connected with Adorama's Pro rental outfit:

Hands-on Report: Sony NEX-7 « THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS | A PRO PHOTO & VIDEO BLOG

When the long-rumored Sony NEX-7 was announced in August, I was elated. Could this be the camera I’d been waiting for to lure me back to the digital world? At least on paper, it sounded like a serious contender. With the same 24MP APS-C CMOS sensor shared with the A77, high resolution OLED EVF also shared with the A77, 100-16000 ISO, 1080P video recording at both 24 and 60fps in AVCHD 2.0 (a first for a stills camera), 10fps shooting, mic input, built-in flash and Alpha hotshoe and an innovative three dial manual control interface, this sounded more like a flagship APS-C DSLR than a MILC half its size.

I was lucky enough to get hold of a pre-production model from Sony to use over the weekend (as well as the NEX-5N and A77, with writeups forthcoming), and got a chance to find out if this was indeed the camera I’d been waiting for. Because the image processing and firmware were not finalized, I was asked not to show any samples I took with the NEX-7, so I will only discuss ergonomics and overall user experience.
Worth a read.

rishio

TalkEmount Rookie

Will update this post, ordered chronologically, with any reviews spotted.
don't forget the wonderful luminous landscape one:

Sony NEX-7 First Impressions

serhan

TalkEmount All-Pro
I saw his video last night, now the review. He has interesting comparisons to Nex-5n, E-P3, and GXR.

Also there are some comments about the lenses. It looks like Zeiss 24mm is similar to X100 lens by character, but not size:
"The 24 is about the same size as the kit 18-55 zoom lens. If I had to say something I would say that the Zeiss lens..it would have been great if it were a bit smaller but overall it has a nice feel and balance on the camera. While it is not clinicaly sharp, it has character… It has a very smooth classic character with good color and contrast. "

"The Sony 50 1.8 at $299 is a must own for any NEX owner. It’s priced right and puts out gorgeous results with color that pops, contrast that pops and it’s sharp even wide open."

adanac

TalkEmount Regular
I wonder why Sony/Zeiss decided to go with the Sonnar design for that lens and not a Biogon. Maybe they felt that as an all-rounder it would be safer to avoid a too-sharp (wide open) lens.

I think I'd have been more keen on a Biogon design similar to that used in the well regarded ZM 25mm f/2.8 (maybe speed has something to do with the decision...) if they could have added autofocus and not made the lens too huge or too costly.

No doubt the Zeiss 24mm E mount is plenty sharp enough stopped down a little.

It'd be great to see some other reviewers shooting manual focus glass of various types with the NEX-7. Luminous Landscape must not be too far away with an update to Michael Reichmann's first impressions review with the infamous Zeiss/Leica performance controversy being addressed.

WyldRage

New to TalkEmount
The problem with a Biogon design is that the light exiting the lens comes at a very strong angle, which results in colour shifts and smearing on the edges of the image. It was fine for film, but not for sensors. By being longer, the Sonnar gives a much reduced angle to the light, and thus will not show this problem.

adanac

TalkEmount Regular
WyldRage - that's a good point. I keep forgetting the Contax G (which used the biogon design in some lenses) was a film camera. ;)

I have heard from some 5N users that the 25 and 35mm Biogons don't exhibit colour smearing in the corners so hopefully whatever changes Sony has made (microlenses?) but not trumpted will also show up in the NEX-7 as would be expected.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
I was surprised by Steve Huff's impressions of the Zeiss 24mm lens:

...the Zeiss is mandatory. It just goes with the camera so well. It’s not perfect and it did not really WOW me at 1st but the more I used it the more I appreciated it....
Having owned some stellar Zeiss glass, I thought this lens would ​wow at first use.

storyteller

TalkEmount Veteran
I was surprised by Steve Huff's impressions of the Zeiss 24mm lens:

Having owned some stellar Zeiss glass, I thought this lens would ​wow at first use.
I was a little surprised at that too. I think the issue is the NEX-7 seems to neutralize tone in JPG but there's real potential there in PP. That's of course just my opinion from rabidly following the 7 reviews prior to release. As someone who shoots Pentax as well that doesn't really upset me their cameras act the same way--a neutral character but lots of flexibility.

Latest posts

Top Bottom