NEX-7 Review Sightings

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by adanac, Oct 14, 2011.

1. adanac

adanac TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011

Will update this post, ordered chronologically, with any reviews spotted.

2. Melv

Melv TalkEmount Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    Rotherham, U.K.
    I've only managed a quick look at the samples from Imaging Resource, but the resolution and detail at 100 ASA at least, is amazing!

3. adanac

Sep 30, 2011
    Written by a person connected with Adorama's Pro rental outfit:

Hands-on Report: Sony NEX-7 « THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS | A PRO PHOTO & VIDEO BLOG

Worth a read.

4. rishio

rishio TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 14, 2011
    don't forget the wonderful luminous landscape one:

Sony NEX-7 First Impressions

5. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I saw his video last night, now the review. He has interesting comparisons to Nex-5n, E-P3, and GXR.

Also there are some comments about the lenses. It looks like Zeiss 24mm is similar to X100 lens by character, but not size:
    "The 24 is about the same size as the kit 18-55 zoom lens. If I had to say something I would say that the Zeiss lens..it would have been great if it were a bit smaller but overall it has a nice feel and balance on the camera. While it is not clinicaly sharp, it has character… It has a very smooth classic character with good color and contrast. "

"The Sony 50 1.8 at $299 is a must own for any NEX owner. It’s priced right and puts out gorgeous results with color that pops, contrast that pops and it’s sharp even wide open."

6. adanac

Sep 30, 2011
    I wonder why Sony/Zeiss decided to go with the Sonnar design for that lens and not a Biogon. Maybe they felt that as an all-rounder it would be safer to avoid a too-sharp (wide open) lens.

I think I'd have been more keen on a Biogon design similar to that used in the well regarded ZM 25mm f/2.8 (maybe speed has something to do with the decision...) if they could have added autofocus and not made the lens too huge or too costly.

No doubt the Zeiss 24mm E mount is plenty sharp enough stopped down a little.

It'd be great to see some other reviewers shooting manual focus glass of various types with the NEX-7. Luminous Landscape must not be too far away with an update to Michael Reichmann's first impressions review with the infamous Zeiss/Leica performance controversy being addressed.

7. WyldRage

WyldRage New to TalkEmount

Aug 14, 2011
    The problem with a Biogon design is that the light exiting the lens comes at a very strong angle, which results in colour shifts and smearing on the edges of the image. It was fine for film, but not for sensors. By being longer, the Sonnar gives a much reduced angle to the light, and thus will not show this problem.

8. adanac

Sep 30, 2011
    WyldRage - that's a good point. I keep forgetting the Contax G (which used the biogon design in some lenses) was a film camera. ;)

I have heard from some 5N users that the 25 and 35mm Biogons don't exhibit colour smearing in the corners so hopefully whatever changes Sony has made (microlenses?) but not trumpted will also show up in the NEX-7 as would be expected.

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I was surprised by Steve Huff's impressions of the Zeiss 24mm lens:

Having owned some stellar Zeiss glass, I thought this lens would ​wow at first use.

10. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    I was a little surprised at that too. I think the issue is the NEX-7 seems to neutralize tone in JPG but there's real potential there in PP. That's of course just my opinion from rabidly following the 7 reviews prior to release. As someone who shoots Pentax as well that doesn't really upset me their cameras act the same way--a neutral character but lots of flexibility.

11. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  12. adanac

Sep 30, 2011
  13. adanac

Sep 30, 2011
  14. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran