1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Nex 7 quick release plate for manfrotto tripod?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Benjamin, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin TalkEmount Regular

Is there any such thing? Cant seem to find one..

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Not aware of a manfrotto plate. There are a couple for Arca Swiss though. Depending on which head you have you might be able to swap the clamp out for an A/S and go that route.

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Why don't you use the one that came with the tripod (or any small Manfrotto quick release plate)?

4. Benjamin

The plate I have for it is meant for the Canon T3i. Really big for the nex 7.

5. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I see. But with Manfrotto's huge, stupidly non-standard mount for quick release plates, it will be hard to get a plate small enough for a NEX-7. Your best option is probably looking for the smallest plate on the Manfrotto website.

6. Benjamin

Hmm maybe I should should start over and invest in a tripod and mount for the nex 7 and give up on the monfrotto, the thing was monstrously heavy anyways. Anyone have any suggestions that wont break the bank lol?

7. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The Sirui T-005X. Comes with a quick release plate that's perfect in size for the NEX-7, supports the Arca Swiss standard, weighs just about 1 kg and cost just 100 Euro.

8. Benjamin

Thanks! put it on my amazon wish list and will order it next pay check!

9. worksheet

worksheet New to TalkEmount

Jul 2, 2013
    Works great.

Attached Files:

10. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Still looks too big to let in on all the time.

11. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I just went through the same thing, trying to come up with a solution for a funky old travel tripod.

If you search for "Manfrotto Quick Release", they do have a more compact system (RC2) that you can just mount on top of an existing tripod head. It runs about $30.

I'd like to go the Arca-Swiss route eventually, but even the cheapo systems seem comparatively expensive, not to mention confusing.

I went ahead and got the larger Manfrotto system pictured above (RC4) because I already use that with my 410 geared head. (With one $40 gizmo, both tripod quick-releases are now interchangeable - that will come in super handy on my product shoots!) The plate is annoyingly big on a mirrorless camera, but it is not particularly heavy. (I figure if a large-ish QR plate is enough to stop me, I might as well not even bother trying to take the rest of the tripod out on a hike!)

12. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I haven't looked at one lately, but I think you can swap the clamp on a Manfrotto to a Arca-swiss clamp rather than swapping the whole head.

13. loonsailor

loonsailor TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Berkeley, CA, USA
    If you are willing to go to an Arca-style plate, Really Right Stuff has a really nice plate made specifically for the Nex. It comes as a convertible L-plate. The L (used to mount the camera sideways) is easily removed, and the bottom plate is small enough to leave on all the time. I use it with a MeFOTO MEC1350Q1T, which also is imported by Benro under a different number, and for less $$ in aluminum rather than carbon fiber.