1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nex 7 or Olympus omd e-m5?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by SimanBrothersOutdoors, Nov 25, 2014.

1. SimanBrothersOutdoors

SimanBrothersOutdoors New to TalkEmount

Sep 22, 2014
    Been eye balling both and they seem to be In the same price range. Will be using mostly for video. The only reason the Oly is appealing is due to the ibis with vintage lenses.

2. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    A6000 combines best of both, maybe wait a month for A7000 and add IBIS. I had the Oly OM-D EM-1 and used the E-P5 instead. That got me to thinking I prefer the form factor of the E-P5, switched to Sony and A6000 (among others). Never looked back. I don't need a camera to look like a DSLR when it isn't one. If the E-P5 ever grows a viewfinder, I'd likely jump on it, but for now, anxiously awaiting A7000 news. Don't underestimate the quality of a good NEX-6 either. Save some real cash for your vintage lenses that way. We all shot for 50 or so years without IBIS you know... learn to breathe, that's the best IBIS... In (YOUR) Body Image Stabilization.

3. dannat

dannat TalkEmount Regular

Jun 22, 2014
    VIC
    what focal length do you like to shot? the oly is fast & the ibis will help with longer lengths, shorter lengths & high iso/low light the nex7 will be better

4. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I have the NEX-6, and it is a fine camera. The lack of stabilization has never been a problem for me, and I primarily use legacy lenses. I decided to pick up an OM-D E-M5 for the magnesium alloy body, weather sealing, and 5-axis stabilization. Except for the hump that holds the EVF and gyros, it is within a millimeter or two of the NEX-6 in size. I could have waited to see if the A7000 became a reality, but the deal I found on a near-mint E-M5 was too good to skip. That probably muddies the waters, but it depends on what's most important to you. If you have more patience than I do, you may want to wait until early 2015 and see if the A7000 really comes to pass.

Tony

5. ggibson

ggibson TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2011
    Using mostly for video? Don't even bother with Olympus right now unless you're set on using only vintage lenses and need the 5-axis IBIS. Sony's video blows it out of the water, and with a good stabilized lens will look just as smooth hand-held. I'd go for the A6000 over the NEX 7 these days.