1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

NEX-7 Focus Peaking

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by roundball, May 20, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    In using Focus Peaking since getting into the NEX-7, I started out with Red mid-strength based on somebody's recommendation and it worked fine for the first few months of learning the NEX-7 basics. Then after becoming familiar enough experimenting with the different colors & strengths I learned that switching those variables depending on different color & lighting conditions could be helpful...simplest example is trying to fine tune focus on a Red Northern Cardinal using the Red color is much harder than using White.

And the more I used White the more I began to like it as my default choice instead of Red...and a lot of it has to do with what I call it's "shimmer".
    I don't mean the visible band of in-focus color that I can see sweeping back and forth across a scene as I'm focusing...I see that with all 3 colors.
    I mean that the White color peaking actually 'shimmers'...like a very high frequency blinking / pulsing / quaking sort of motion.
    It calls attention to even the tiniest spec of White and makes it easier (for me) to see.
    This happens on multiple NEX-7s and multiple lenses.

So I'm curious whether or not any other NEX-7 users have experienced this?
    IE: Do all 3 colors do this for everybody else...or is it just the White...or is it just my particular eyesight / vision ?

2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Interesting, I use red/high exclusively, just as thats what I got used to on my Nex-5 so did the same on my A6000 when setting it up. From reading this I will experiment with other colours, mainly white, as I do find on more than an occasion the red is hard to see. I also find certain lenses are FAR more contrasty that others so peaking works better.

3. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
  4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    And if you don't mind, if you guys could post back about whether or not you see the White choice actually seem to "shimmer" in place, different from the Red

5. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
  6. BruPri

BruPri TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2011
    Red, Yellow, and White, they all "shimmer" It's probably just more apparent with white as it is a non-color, does not call attention to itself other than the shimmer.

7. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Goes without saying ;)

8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Actually that's not the case at all...the White is very bold, easy to see.
    My experience has been that it also appears to "shimmer"...where I do not get that "shimmer" with the other colors.

9. BruPri

BruPri TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2011
    Perhaps I did not explain as clear as I could have. I did not mean to imply that white was not easy to see. What I meant to say was that
    and on my camera, and after observing all Peaking settings and colors, I observed that all the colors shimmer. That being said, everyone's eyes might see things differently and have sensitivities and perceptions about different colors. I must confess that this is an a6000, not a NEX 7 however I've owned two 7's and they've all exhibited the same "shimmering" behavior for Yellow and Red as well.

10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I usually use yellow low, but not exclusivly.

11. 986ster

986ster TalkEmount Regular

Jan 15, 2013
    I found Yellow/High to be the easiest for me to work with. I think the 'shimmer' is based on the level of contrast around your focal point.
    For example, when I focus on chair with a patterned fabric, I get a lot of 'shimmer'. When I focus on a black end table against a light wall color, it's fairly static.

It probably also depends on what lens you're using - you will likely see more 'shimmer' on a 200mm due to body motion than on a 16mm.

• Like Like x 1
  12. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    The different speculation so far are interesting. I can add that motion is not the root cause of "shimmer"...I'm sitting here right now, rock solid steady on a tripod and the edges of the bark on a tree I'm watching "shimmer" in white, but not in Red.

13. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Based on some of the replies, I really can't emphasize the following strong enough:

Not to be confused with the typical routine color highlights that we see more of on lots of small detail stuff compared to a solid color object against another solid color background...that's business as usual...not what I'm talking about.

14. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that Yellow/High is generally best for me. In bright sunlight red works better and white is better in dark or with subjects that have red and yellow. I don't mostly remember to change it and all work pretty well.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Does the LCD exhibit the same phenomenon? I don't have a NEX 7 so I've never seen what you describe. I would guess it may have something to do with the refresh rate of the EVF.

16. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    At leat with Nex 7 LCD works same.

17. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Yes, appears the same in both the EVF and LCD

18. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

I think the shimmer is tied to the frequency of the details of the scene in conjunction with the resolution of the screen. I regularly see a shimmer with my non-NEX cameras that do not have focus peaking, though peaking certainly makes it more apparent than it otherwise is.

19. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Yes, as I mentioned above, the more details in the scene the greater the volume of "focus peaking highlights" there are scattered throughout the scene of course...however, that's not what I'm referring to as 'shimmer".

I was just curious about the "why" of the differences in what I call shimmer between the colors...and we may not be able to nail it here in the forum...but whatever the root cause of it is, I view it as a plus to an already good feature.

In playing around some more yesterday, I detected a small amount of "shimmer" also visible using the "yellow" color...and with both white and yellow being lighter than red, it literally may be related to some sort of light frequency thing...dunno.

One thing is for sure, without Focus Peaking, my entire inventory of Canon FD manual focus lenses would have to go back into storage.

20. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA