1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

NEX-7 firmware 1.02: better AF with SEL50?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by radimere, Apr 13, 2013.

1. radimere

radimere TalkEmount Regular

Apr 2, 2013
    I've read some comments here and there that the NEX-7 1.02 update provides faster autofocus for some lenses, including the SEL50F18. Since this is an undocumented feature (the 1.02 update is SEL1650-specific), and I would like to avoid trying my luck with the NEX-7's archaic USB update mechanism, I thought I'd ask if any of you have had positive results. :)

2. radimere

Apr 2, 2013
    Anybody? :)

3. Javcky

Javcky TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 17, 2012
    Sorry i took the plunge for a NEX6 instead of the 7, so I cannot attest to this tidbit of info. Use my post as a bump :p

4. radimere

Apr 2, 2013
    I appreciate the bump, Javcky. I might just update after all, just to see if it does have an effect. But it would be nice if I could weigh my observations against those who have/haven't noticed significant AF improvements. :)

The SEL50F18 actually focuses pretty fast, as long as it's not hunting. When it hunts it racks back and forth sloooowly. Not really usable for capturing a toddler's activities.

5. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I say yes. I was never annoyed with the AF on the SEL50 before, but I do feel it locks on a little quicker now.