1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

NEX-7 "Daylight" Setting for my Canon FDn lenses instead of Sony's AWB (Auto White Balance)

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by roundball, Aug 31, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Some feedback in case its of any interest to anyone:
    Very noticeable improvement in the overall color and brightness of my photos the past few days using the "Daylight" setting.

I've always thought the brightness & color of my photos taken with Canon FDn legacy lenses on the NEX-7 generally ran a little subdued / dull / flat right out of the camera. Then as a result of the thread recently started by 'WT21' on this subject with before & after photos showing the differences, I switched to the "Daylight" setting to see if I got an improvement overall, and without question the brightness / color accuracy is better right off the SD card.

So unless / until I get into a situation where "AWB" somehow becomes the best choice with my legacy lenses...which, after a year + I can't imagine happening...my default setting for my photography is now the "Daylight" setting.

• Like Like x 1
  2. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    I have used about 30 Minolta SR/AR/MC/MD lenses on both NEX-7 and A7r and every time i forget to go to Daylight WB ( or flash, or custom when i am in artificial light), my pictures are taking a color cast that is quite different from what it should be. I even tested against Sony E-Mount lenses and in daylight, if i use AWB, there is normally a yellow cast with the adapted lenses.

If i use Daylight in daylight, E-Mount and AR/SR/MC/MD are almost identical in color rendition.

My impression is that since most of my Minolta lenses have some form of yellowish coating, there is something that the WB of the camera sees and it is over correcting ( or not correcting).

Is the camera seeing this as some form of internal reflection or is there something that gets bypassed when using Legacy lenses with no contact adapters ? I don't know

I was using a SEL 55mm F 1.8 versus an old Minolta 55 the other day and forgot to go to Daylight WB in a half sunny/ half shade situation and the AWB with the SEL gave me very cold ( blue/purple) shaded areas whereas the Minolta actually gave much warmer but more realistic colours. So even with native mount lenses, AWB has its limitations.

• Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I've noticed this to. Use daylight a lot

4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    While Sony...(like all camera companies)...has some good products & approaches, we already know they are not the end all / be all to photography.
    And their particular design / implementation of the AWB function may be an area that just never got the required testing & attention it should have...and for sure they're not going to come back now and spend any money revisiting it on the NEX line. Heck, for all we know, their AWB may not actually "do" anything automatically at all...the AWB setting may simply inject some theoretical industry average value regardless of what the scene is doing it front of the camera...dunno.
    But its clear that the common theme from all the posts about Sony's AWB function is that it seems to be lacking / essentially unusable.

5. Digital Bill

Digital Bill New to TalkEmount

Oct 1, 2013
    Sony's NEX-7 AWB is most definitely 'useable' ... In fact it works well. Some like Daylight better, but AWB works just fine.

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Essentially unusable? I use AWB to shoot probably 99% of the time, and though I will adjust the raw file from time to time to suit my mood in PP, most of the time I leave the WB as the camera sees it.

I don't know what your goal is, but using daylight setting for anything other than "daylight" scenes will yield inaccurate colors.

7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Assuming you read the entire thread...and considering other posts like mine to the contrary...what brand of legacy lenses do you routinely use on the NEX-7 that work fine with AWB ?

And I'm talking proper rendition right off the SD card, not after post processing to clean things up.

8. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I think some people is missing the part about LEGACY lenses and the AWB being the thing being discussed here not just AWB with E mount lenses.

9. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I have two Canon FDn lenses (and an LTM) and I regularly shoot images with the camera set on AWB. So for me it's not an "unusable" setting.

10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA

As I suspected, you need to go back and read / comprehend the thread from the beginning.

QUOTE:
    "...I've always thought the brightness & color of my photos taken with Canon FDn legacy lenses on the NEX-7 generally ran a little subdued / dull / flat right out of the camera..."

11. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    OK, it's clear that this thread is ranging outside of the collegial atmosphere that we enjoy here, and before it goes any farther, may I suggest that we all step back from the edge and consider carefully what we write from now on, OK?

Thanks for your understanding.

• Like Like x 2
  12. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Well unusable is too wide of a statement but as the images posted show, there is a clear difference between AWB in a legacy lens vs Daylight compared to AWB and Daylight under an E mount lens though.

13. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    You'll get no argument from me about that. "Unusable" just struck me as well outside of my legacy lens experience.

14. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thanks, and in summary, I'll finalize & reiterate for clarity that the reference to unusable was my choice, about me, my experiences with AWB...on an NEX-7...with my Canon FDn lenses...as I clearly stated in my posts.

I had run tests following other posts I'd seen on the same subject and my before & after photos showed Daylight to be far superior for me than AWB...same as others who recently posted about their same experiences and showed their before & after photos...my statements were / are simply the facts, that's all.