NEX-7 - connect a strap without the addons?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Poki, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I don't have these plastic things that clip into the round metal strap connectors on the NEX-7. How can I connect a strap in this case? Not that I usually use one, but there are occasions where it is extremely useful.

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I use a split ring and carabiner hook.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Thanks for the tip. A carabiner might be overkill, but split rings sound good.

4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    There are small ones. I have one that has got threads over the opening and nut that screws so it can't open accidentally. The split ring is always in the camera but I can detach the strap when I don't want to use it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    I would recommend a split ring too.

However I would suggest a slight "mod" attach the split ring via two cable ties (cut off like so) and you can use the split ring as a finger loop and or attach anything you like at the same time. Been using my nex 5n like this for years and can attach or remove things as and when I like, works great for me.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/mathieu_decodts_photography/11438305116/" title="Finger loop mod by Mathieu Decodts, on Flickr"> 11438305116_8ce23d7a64_b. "1024" height="682" alt="Finger loop mod"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  6. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Legend

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Another consideration either as shown, or that you might get some ideas from.

Personal choice is I don’t like metal parts rubbing / clanking against my gear.
    Don’t like the cosmetic damage and like it quiet for wildlife photos.

Have always used heavy duty quick-disconnect buckles & straps, photos below.
    They come in different sizes of course…Army Surplus store then a few minutes at a shoe shop for some stitching, done.
    As I change camera & lens combos with different weights, I can change strap sizes in seconds.
    I also have a smaller single hand loop strap on a quick disconnect buckle I can swap out.

View attachment 39124

View attachment 39125

• Like Like x 1
  7. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I use some of these split rings too now until I find a better solution (maybe a BlackRapid strap might do the trick). Don't use a strap most of the time anyways, but when shooting some live events it's almost necessary to have a strap, and when just walking around it's convenient sometimes.

Thank you all for the tips, this seems to work quite well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.