NEX-7 - connect a strap without the addons?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Poki, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I don't have these plastic things that clip into the round metal strap connectors on the NEX-7. How can I connect a strap in this case? Not that I usually use one, but there are occasions where it is extremely useful.

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I use a split ring and carabiner hook.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Thanks for the tip. A carabiner might be overkill, but split rings sound good.

4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    There are small ones. I have one that has got threads over the opening and nut that screws so it can't open accidentally. The split ring is always in the camera but I can detach the strap when I don't want to use it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    I would recommend a split ring too.

However I would suggest a slight "mod" attach the split ring via two cable ties (cut off like so) and you can use the split ring as a finger loop and or attach anything you like at the same time. Been using my nex 5n like this for years and can attach or remove things as and when I like, works great for me.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/mathieu_decodts_photography/11438305116/" title="Finger loop mod by Mathieu Decodts, on Flickr"> 11438305116_8ce23d7a64_b. "1024" height="682" alt="Finger loop mod"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  6. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Another consideration either as shown, or that you might get some ideas from.

Personal choice is I don’t like metal parts rubbing / clanking against my gear.
    Don’t like the cosmetic damage and like it quiet for wildlife photos.

Have always used heavy duty quick-disconnect buckles & straps, photos below.
    They come in different sizes of course…Army Surplus store then a few minutes at a shoe shop for some stitching, done.
    As I change camera & lens combos with different weights, I can change strap sizes in seconds.
    I also have a smaller single hand loop strap on a quick disconnect buckle I can swap out.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I use some of these split rings too now until I find a better solution (maybe a BlackRapid strap might do the trick). Don't use a strap most of the time anyways, but when shooting some live events it's almost necessary to have a strap, and when just walking around it's convenient sometimes.

Thank you all for the tips, this seems to work quite well.