1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

NEX-7 and the RX1R

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Bill, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    When the full-frame RX1 was first tested by dpreview.com, I remarked on the studio performance of the NEX-7 at low ISO, as it seemed to be better. Now dpreview has done its studio test on the new RX1R. Have a look. At ISO 100 which do you like best?

Center Performance:
    RX1R_center.JPG

Edge:

RX1R_edge.JPG

2. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I've said it before: that DPR widget is better for demonstrating the importance of critical focus than it is for actually comparing the potential of various camera sensors.

That said, I do enjoy the way that nothing else has managed to decisively trounce my trusty NEX-7 in that comparison tool (at least not in the areas where the N7 is in sharp focus).

3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    If the upper 2 shots are from the RX1R, I am very surprised. They simply look unsharp. I know, pixel-peeping and all that, but still. I'm not going to spend time to watch the dpreview tool, the RX1(R) is not for me.

4. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    What lens was used with the NEX-7

5. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    Quite simply, RX1 & RX1R samples don't appear to be in focus.

6. dejavu2339

dejavu2339 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    I think 7d and nex 7 is more clear ... the others have a blur

GT-I9500 cihazmdan Tapatalk 2 ile gönderildi

7. Lucille

Lucille TalkEmount Veteran

May 22, 2013
    I don't have a NEX7, but I do have a A65, which uses the same sensor.

The Rx1 kicks it to the curb at any ISO. The dynamic range is stunning and leaves the APS-C 24 megapixel sensor behind.

Now I don't run around shooting pictures of the Queen from a deck of cards, but if I did, I GUARENTEE you, I will blow away that crappy effort put forth above.

8. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    A couple of points

When I originaly saw the earlier RX1 results I thoght there had to be a mistake; but now that they have tested the RX1R, it seems to confirm that earlier result.

There are a few points to be made:

• Yes, it's pixel peeping, but I think that it highlights just how good the NEX-7 is.
    • The NEX-7 lens in the test was the Sony DT f1.8 50mm SAM (at f8), so it wasn't even a native E-Mount lens.
    • You only have to crank up the ISO and the results change signifigantly.

A full-frame sensor brings a variety of advantages, but the technology has narrowed the gap -- making the NEX platform an outstanding option for serious photographers.

9. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    Lucille,

I think that's right. The full-frame with a full-frame mount is a very different thing. That's why I threw in the Canon. I would guess that Canon result would be more like your A65. I don't think, however, that it's just a sensor matter, I think its the sensor/mount/lens relationship.

The battle (if that's the right word) is not between full-frame DSLRs and the NEX, but between the variety of smalller, mirroless offerings. Having said that, the DXO Mark score for the A65 sensor was 74, while the NEX-7 score was 81 -- the NEX-7 was better in every category: Color depth, color range and low light. I don't think they use the same sensor.

10. Lucille

May 22, 2013
    Before I bought the A65, I tried in vein to get a Nex7, you couldn't find the 'camera of the year' to save your life, so I settled on the A65...

I wish I would have gotten the Nex to this day...

Good point, the SLT mirror in the A65 is a factor, as opposed to the mirrorless Nex7. And yes, the A65 and the Nex7 use the same exact sensor.

11. Lucille

May 22, 2013
    I still will say, I am certain I can easily get a sharper shot with my Rx1 then what is posted above, ESPECIALLY at low ISO, make no mistake about it, the Rx1 is sharp, in spite of dp review.