1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nex 6

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by photoheron, Jun 27, 2013.

1. photoheron

photoheron TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 27, 2013
    Fort Smith Arkansas
    Brad
    I'm looking at both mirror less compacts and 4/3 systems. For those using the Nex 6 what do you like and dislike, happy with image quality?

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I don't need to own a NEX-6 to answer this question. The IQ is good, with a high quality lens better than any m4/3 system could achieve, the handling is good, the body is plastic and feels cheap (cheaper than both the 5R and the 7) and the EVF is quite good (as good as anything on the market today). Whether you buy into m4/3 or NEX really depends on which camera design and which lens ecosystem you like better.

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I moved to the NEX-6 from the µ4/3 universe (Panasonic G1, GH2, GF3 & GX1), and haven't looked back. At one time there was something to be said for their lenses, but the NEX sensor is a step above, and the lens advantage is pretty much insignificant now.

4. Luiz Curcino

Luiz Curcino TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    Uberlandia-MG Brasil
    I've was system M4/3 user (GH1) and loved it... but the 2x crop factor of this system made ​​me change for the system Nex with APS-C crop factor of 1.5x, due to my wide angle lenses that lost by crop 2x: a 28mm lens turned to 56mm :( :( ...

Now I am very happy with my Nex6. My 28mm lens now go to 42mm on APS-C crop 1.5x. And do not intend to come back to the system M4/3. And the IQ on Nex6 is better than M4/3 IMO.

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Here's another mover from µ4/3. I changed from the Panasonic G1 and GH2 to a Sony NEX-6.

Things I like
    • First and foremost, the raw output at the lowest ISO is great, worlds apart from what I got from my GH2.
    • ISO 3200 fully useable, used it a lot for indoor family shots without getting colored blobs in everybody's faces.
    • Extremely well suited for manual focussing, with its excellent finder and peaking feature.
    • Accurate exposure. Hardly ever need to compensate (I always shoot raw).
    • Nice viewfinder. Doesn't make me forget an optical viewfinder, but it's adequate for what I do.
    • Responsive camera, meaning that the delay between pressing the shutter button and recording the shot is OK. Nightmare with the GH2, especially in combination with the otherwise excellent 20/1.7 stopped down to anything other than f/1.7.
    • Mostly accurate white balance (except in tungsten light, then you need to correct).
    • TTL flash actually works! Not so much on the GH2 and G1.
    • Standard USB mini-connector and a battery that is common between a lot of NEX bodies. :thumbup:
    • Video quality is quite OK for me, doing only occasional clips, not into video at all.
    • Card and battery can be accessed even when a smallish tripod mount is attached.
    • Edit: Electronic first curtain makes for less vibration, allowing slower shutter speeds with a lot of lenses.

Things I don't like
    • Major gripe: PDAF cannot be switched off if the lens supports it. I don't need PDAF and I especially don't need its inaccuracies or systematic errors with a lens that isn't perfectly adjusted. It's the main reason I left the DSLR world and now I get it back. :mad:
    • Mounting a NEX-6 on a tripod is a joke, the body is too shallow to get decent grip on the tripod mount. Solved it by buying an adapter with a tripod mount and will probably buy a Really Right Stuff bracket.
    • Sony lenses suffer from bad quality control and henceforth large sample variation. Fortunately Sigma and Zeiss also do NEX lenses, although the latter forces you to use PDAF.
    • No Auto-ISO in M(anual) mode. Shame.
    • Viewfinder prone to moiré. Can be disturbing but also functions like a sort of peaking.
    • Absence of custom menus.
    • Limited set of functions that can be assigned to the programmable buttons. Missing: peaking on/off, review on/off and some more. Still the camera is mostly convenient to operate once you got the buttons programmed to your liking.
    • Dust removal not as effective as that of the GH2. Had to blow dust off a few times, never needed with the GH2.
    • The mess Sony made with its flash connections, causing incompatibilities, getting lost in the woods about what flash works with your camera and a host of adapters.
    • No fully articulating display. Miss that for low-level portrait-orientation shooting.
    • Probably the most minor snag: the mounting indicator for lenses is only visible from the front, not from above where I need it. Solved it by drawing a mark on the bayonet ring.

All-in-all I'm quite happy with the NEX-6. I'd be over the moon with it if they allowed me to circumvent PDAF and if Sony were to get their quality control on lenses in order.

6. photoheron

Jun 27, 2013
    Fort Smith Arkansas
    Brad
    I noticed that there other models in the Nex line-up under the 6 such as the 5n and 5r. Am I to assume that the 6 is a model update from these two?

7. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    5r and 6 has the same 16MP sensors with pdaf updated from the older 5n 16MP sensor. Nex 6 has the built-in viewfinder and more customization compared to 5n/5r. 5n/5r has touch screen. You can add a viewfinder to nex-5n/5r. 5n/5r is similar to E-pl5 or Fuji X-M1. See nex 6 vs nex 5r dimensions and buttons below:
    Compare camera dimensions side by side

8. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    There are 4 different categories for the NEX series. Here they are ordered from the highest to lowest categories and from oldest to newer releases:
    - NEX-7: NEX-7
    - NEX-6: NEX-6
    - NEX-5: NEX-5, NEX-5N, NEX-5R
    - NEX-3: NEX-3, NEX-C3, NEX-F3, NEX-3N

NEX-7 is the pro level NEX and NEX-3 is the entry level NEX. The 5 & 6 sit somewhere between them.

9. Mel Snyder

Mel Snyder New to TalkEmount

Jun 30, 2013
    Funny, never felt the body was "cheap" - as a Leica M4P shooter who bought it to accommodate my M and LTM mounts, it feels perfect in my hands. Love the 16-50 PZ lens, too - must have gotten a good one, because it's very sharp end to end (not as sharp as my M mounts, but didn't expect that). Manual focusing with their peaking is every bit as fast and accurate as the M4P.

Never gave a thought to the MFT sensor cameras. Love it.

10. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I used all three, the 7, the 6 and of course my trusty 5, and the 6 definitely was disappointing in terms of build quality, and this alone would be enough reason for me to get the 7 instead of the 6. But then again, I often spent a couple hundred euros more just because I hate cheap feeling things ...

11. Mel Snyder

Mel Snyder New to TalkEmount

Jun 30, 2013
    Well, bully for you.

ImageUploadedByTalkNEX1372701432.066578.

I'm a camera collector - the photo attached shows a small part of my collection. Every one of the cameras on display works perfectly. They were all designed to last at least 50 years - even my first camera, a bakelite Kodak Bullet made in the 1930s and given to me by my photographer when I was about 5 years old, in 1947. Surely my Hasselblads, Leicas, and all the other all-metal cameras in my collection were designed and manufactured to last, basically, forever.

But technology has passed them all by. Their marvelous metal is wonderful to touch, focus and dry-fire. But when it comes to actually shooting, all that fancy metal means little except as collectables. While my M-mount lenses live on mounted on my NEX-6, my M4P sits in a drawer.

There are lots of us who very much enjoy our NEX-6 cameras, and your denigration of what they're made of isn't any more welcome than some wearing a Rolex knocking someone wearing a Seiko. It's the kind of insensitive observation most of our mothers taught us to keep to ourselves, if we had the lapse in moral values to even think of expressing such a thought.

12. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    And there I am, thinking I'm overdoing it with my 100+ Minolta lens collection... Nice display BTW. And I'm one of those suckers who makes do with a NEX-6. I've never thought of it as feeling cheap. But then again, I managed to get along quite well with a plastic Panasonic G1. :)

13. photoheron

Jun 27, 2013
    Fort Smith Arkansas
    Brad
    I went into the local camera store here in town. They do not carry a wide variety of camera makes. They did have a Sony 5r to handle. It felt solid built and nicely gripped for my hands. The touch screen was nice, the screen was big enough and I easily could frame a shot. Still on the fence between this camera and a micro 4/3 camera mmmmmmm.

14. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    One man's plastic disposable is another's light-weight marvel. It's only an opinion, and we all are fortunate to get to use the cameras we enjoy. So why don't we all try to keep it friendly here and not disparage another member's choice of cameras. Agreed?

15. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Wow, what a nice collection of cameras, Mel. It's far too many for me to handle, but I wouldn't mind one Hassie...

Somewhere in here is also a reminder of the value of knowledge and experience as opposed to speculation and opinion.

16. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    I dont think the 6 has ever struck me as feeling cheap, and the build quality would seem to be adequate. I've never handled the 7 so I can't compare. I have a 5N and both would seem very similar. Both handle well and both give me the kind of results I need, which is the main thing of course.

Apparently Sony have threatened us with an updated 7(?). I'd be interested to see how that feels and performs when it eventually arrives. If indeed it ever does.

17. sleekdigital

sleekdigital TalkEmount Regular

May 7, 2013
    For the most part, I actually like the feel of the NEX 6. It strikes a nice balance somewhere between heavy metal and light plastic.

18. sleekdigital

sleekdigital TalkEmount Regular

May 7, 2013
    That is certianly an impressive collection. Thanks for sharing.

19. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Great collection! Sure wouldn't want to have to dust them, though :).

20. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    First, sorry if I offended anybody here. This definitely was not my intention, and the 6 obviously is a camera with totally great value.

And second, yes, it - of course - was my opinion. But as somebody who earned good money as a blogger who reviewed hundreds of products, it became second natural to always search for the tiniest issues in crafting and material choice. I can't even stand an uneven clearance. That's why I buy what I buy, but of course, I should never assume anybody else is as picky here as I am with these kind of things. Oh, and I am not a collector, but I, personally, in my opinion, think it's at least equally important how the things we handle every day feel in our hands.