NEX 6 with Nikon 50mm 1.4D or 1.4G? Which one and which adapter?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by SunshineMom11, Nov 29, 2012.

1. SunshineMom11

SunshineMom11 New to TalkEmount

Nov 29, 2012
    I am looking to get either the

Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.4G SIC SW Prime Nikkor Lens (~$439) or the

Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor Lens (~$329)

for use as a fast focusing prime lens for the Sony NEX 6. Has anyone used this combination? What is the difference between the 1.4D and the 1.4G?

From what I understand, the "G" is the newer lens, obviously pricer, and has AF-S. My question is if the AF-S feature is driven by the electronics specific to a Nikon camera body. Will this autofocus on the NEX as well? I am confused, and would appreciate if anyone can clarify. Obviously if this is true, there is no reason for me to buy the "G", as the benefit is specific to Nikon bodies only.

Also, I would obviously need an adapter, can anyone recommend one? I am seeing ones that are offered with aperture control rings...is that needed/recommended?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Assuming that those are both autofocus lenses they will only work in manual focus mode on your NEX regardless of which adapter you use.

Since you'll be limited to manual focus you'd be much farther ahead just picking up a manual focus 50mm lens. The options are mind boggling in that regard and there are numerous example photos scattered throughout the site to give you an idea what's available.

If you want autofocus you are limited to either the SEL50F18 e-mount lens, or a Sony Alpha mount lens used in conjunction with the Sony LA-EA2 adapter.

Oh, BTW- welcome to the board. :)

3. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Nikon AF lenses are specific to Nikon camera bodies. Don't expect the AF to work in any way on NEX.

The AF-S lenses do not have aperture ring at all. To use that on NEX, you'll need an adapter that can sort of control the aperture. You still need to remember how many clicks you stopped down from wide open.

AF-D lenses can be adapted a little more easily because there's aperture ring on the lens.

But, these lenses are designed to be used mostly with AF. So the MF is usually sloppy. Even though I have a few AF-D lenses, I rarely use them on my NEX.

OTOH, Nikon AI and AI-S lenses, including Series E ones, have good manual focus build. These can also be used on Nikon camera bodies.

If your goal is to use some lens mainly on NEX, you can use lenses from all SLR brands (Canon FD, Konica, Minolta, Olympus), including Nikon, even pre-AI Nikon lenses;
    If your goal is to use the lens on both NEX and Nikon equally, you might want to consider AI and AI-S lenses;
    If your goal is to use the lens mainly on Nikon, you can consider AF-D;
    If your goal is to use the latest and greatest from Nikon in AF mode, you want to pick AF-S G lenses. With the understanding that you might be able adapt to NEX, but the MF experience on NEX is not optimum for non-wide-open shots.

Hope this helps.

4. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Yeah, so far the only AF-enabled adapters have been for Canon. Apparently they are working on Nikon and Contax G(!) ones though. But expect to pay about $400 for something like that, and with only so-so AF performance. So really if you don't have the lenses already you're much better of getting the Sony ones if you need AF.

5. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Going old school on you...

The Nikon Series E 50mm 1.8 was always known as an extremely sharp and flat (field) lens. As was the even older 55mm 3.5 Micro Nikkor. Even the Series E 100 2.8 is a great performer. All three obviously have a better MF function, have aperture rings, and... are usually really cheap!!

6. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    If you want AF for your NEX, you should probably just get the Sony 50mm lens. It has stabilization, which will buy you more low-light ability than the extra 1/3 stop at most of usable speed (and almost indistinguishable blur & depth).

7. LouisJohnD

LouisJohnD TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Hello, I'm new to this forum. I've been looking for a Nikon Series E lens adapter to Sony E- Mount for my 5N and 6, but all of the adapters I've found are bigger than my 50mm 1.8 lens! Does anyone know of a very basic lens adapter that will just simply attach the lens to my camera? I'm currently using the fujinon 35mm CCTV lens via Leica screw mount adapter and it's the perfect size to keep my camera pocketable. Does anyone know why some lenses are bigger/ longer than others? Maybe knowing this will help me find/ make a proper sized adapter. Thank you!

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hi Louis, welcome to the forum. :)

Each camera has a specified lens registration distance (distance from the lens mount face to the sensor (or film) plane. Your Nikon lens has a much larger registration distance, thus the adapter is larger than the Leica adapter.

Here's a link to a web page that gives the vast majority of camera registration distances.

9. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    All Nikon F-mount to Sony E-mount adapter should be of equal length. This is determined by the flange focal distance of the original lens mount. See Flange focal distance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want smaller adapter, Konica AR may be what you're looking for among SLR mounts. Or you can look at rangefinder ones.

10. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Welcome Louis :)

The adapters aren't made to only provide a NEX-mount interface, it also has to place the lens at the correct distance in relation to the sensor surface (flange to film distance). So also think of it as a spacer. Various cameras have different specs with regards to this, so the lenses that were originally made for them need to be 'spaced' accordingly. If they are not spaced correctly, adapted lenses will not be able to focus to infinity.

The Nikon adapters (all SLR lens adapters btw) are long because it's mimicking an SLR body (or turning our Nex body into a surrogate SLR body, minus the mirror mechanisms of course).

CCTV lenses have very short flange to film distancing which is why the CCTV adaptors are so small and flat. If you look closely at your CCTV adapter, you will notice that it's actually sunken-in because the lens needs to be distanced lower than (further in) the NEX body flange mount itself.

11. LouisJohnD

LouisJohnD TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Thank you for the warm welcome and great insight everyone! I'm glad I stumbled upon this forum :D I hope to contribute as much as possible in the near future!