1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

NEX-6 with M-39 Jupiter 8 (Russian version of the Zeiss 50mm f:2 Sonnar lens in LTM mount)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by -et-, Jan 30, 2013.

1. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    Getting acquainted with the NEX-6, using a Jupiter 8 lens (made in 1963) with a M-39 to NEX adapter.

The first shot was taken indoors, bouncing the built-in flash off the wall, with the limited light available for focus coming from a window with drawn blinds.

The second and third images were - obviously - taken outdoors.

It is not visible in these downsized images, but in the original version of the third image, the text on the wall plaque in the center of the image is very clear and readable.

Jupiter 8 Test-1.

Jupiter 8 Test-2.

Jupiter 8 Test-3.

- Tom -

2. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce
    Very nice! Looks like it will serve you well.
    Bruce

3. porchard

porchard TalkEmount Rookie

May 8, 2013
    Hi, first post on here... I'm considering a NEX-6 for use with adapted LTM lenses. I have a Jupiter 8, and an Industar I-61 L/D.

Your images taken with the Jupiter 8 on the NEX-6 look good. I see that you posted these some months ago when you were "getting acquainted":). Now that you've had time to use this combination, how have you found it in general use? TIA.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Looking good, keep at it.

5. porchard

May 8, 2013
    Bump! I'd be grateful for anyone's input on this (i.e. not only from the OP :)).

Is the NEX-6 a good basis for using LTM lenses, generally? Thanks.

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yes. The NEX-6 is a good basis for LTM, as well as any other adapted legacy lens. Is there something about LTM lenses in particular that concerns you?

7. porchard

May 8, 2013
    Thanks, that's good to know. :)

No, it's simply that I have a few LTM lenses, and if I'm going to go the NEX-6 route, then I'd prefer to know in advance whether this camera is essentially suitable in this regard.

So far, I've narrowed it down to the Fuji X-E1, and the NEX-6. Right now, the NEX-6 is looking like the better option - but I'm currently trying to gather every scrap of information and opinion, with a view to helping me decide.

Thanks again for your response. :thumbup:

8. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    I have been quite satisfied with the NEX-6 when used with adapted lenses. If you look through the forums here you will find images I have posted that were taken with a number of older lenses that I already owned in addition to the Jupiter-9 - including some taken with my Industar 61 L/D.

In addition to satisfactory images, with older lenses that do not "talk" to the NEX-6, I have enjoyed the convenience of setting the camera in Shutter priority mode while using Auto ISO. This lets me set both the aperture and shutter to values I prefer for a given situation, while the NEX-6 changes the ISO as needed to provide a correct exposure, even in rapidly changing light.

- Tom -

9. porchard

May 8, 2013
    Thanks -et-, that's helpful. The ability to let ISO float, whilst setting the shutter and aperture yourself, is very useful.

Another question, if I may: previously, I've only used LTM lenses on M43 (crop factor of 2), so of course the sensor was using only a limited (centre) portion of the lens. In your experience, when using the APS-C sensor (crop factor 1.5), do the Jupiter and Industar lenses still hold up reasonably well in quality towards the edges? TIA.

10. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    My apologies for the slow response. I was traveling on business for almost two weeks, and didn't check in here during that time.

I have been quite satisfied with the performance of both of those lenses, but you should keep in mind that the issue with Russian lenses is not the optical design, as most of them are excellent on paper. The problem is the poor quality control during the manufacturing process. One lens might be great and the next one off the same production line might be absolutely terrible. When I was getting my Russian lenses from eBay 10-12 years ago, the phrase commonly used to describe the buying process was "playing Russian roulette". (I did get a mixture of great lenses and dogs, but the prices were low enough then that it was worthwhile.)

With best wishes,
    - Tom -

11. porchard

May 8, 2013
    Thanks, that's good to know. My examples of the Jupiter and Industar lenses have performed well on m43 cameras, so unless there is some steep degradation towards the edges of the image circle - which might not have shown up on m43 - they should be Ok on an APS-C sensor (I hope!:)).

Thanks again for your reply.

12. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    By coincidence, I just attended an annual international technical conference to which a Russian who is also an amateur photographer has been coming for some years. I intentionally took the I-61 L/D lens with me, along with the NEX-6, and told him that I had done so because it was most appropriate to take his picture with a Russian lens.

He looked at the lens and said, "I know this lens! I have a version of it on my Pentacon. We have a saying in Russia that if you take a portrait of a man with it he should shave no more than 5 minutes before the picture is taken, because otherwise his whiskers will show up too much! And you should never take a portrait of a woman with it, because it shows *everything* and she will not be happy."

So it seems that in Russia the reputation of the I-61 L/D is excellent - assuming that you have a good copy. ;)

With best wishes,
    - Tom -

13. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    Another data point that may - or may not - be of use is that about 10 years ago I loaned my I-61 L/D to a colleague for use on his film Leica. He was quite impressed with the results, and offered to buy the lens from me. Since the APS-C sensor in the NEX-6 uses less of the image circle than the film Leica, I have a third-party opinion that the image degradation toward the edges is acceptable - at least with my copy of the I-61 L/D.

- Tom -

14. davehg

davehg New to TalkEmount

Jun 3, 2013
    I have the Helios 44M-4. I could not be more satisfied! Enjoy it!