1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nex 6 vs Fuji XM1 comparison

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Ray Sachs, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs TalkEmount Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    I recently posted a user comparison of the Nex 6 and the Fuji XM1 up on Serious Compacts, if interested:

Fuji X-M1 vs Sony Nex 6 - a user comparison

I'm somewhat more recently familiar with the Fuji system than the Nex, so I'd appreciate your thoughts, particularly if I got something wrong regarding the Nex, which you all are more familiar with.

-Ray

2. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Thanks for sharing your impression!

I do sometimes miss having some sort of distance scale with native e-mount lenses, though it is not so critical for most of the things I do. If I need to achieve a specific depth, I use the old trick of focusing 1/3 the way in, then stop down sufficiently. FWIW for that kind of thing I find the live view stopped-down preview to be a lot more helpful than the old optical viewfinders used to be!

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Not an expert in any way, but I have to say its the first time I've read/heard someone not liking Nex's focus peaking

4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs TalkEmount Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    I should have been more specific. I like it for critical focus with the image magnified. The way I was trying to use it was with the full image showing to try to determine the "zone" of focus for street shooting. Using it to visualize the actual depth of field, in other words. And I'd focus such that something as close as I tought I'd shoot would be in focus, with a good deal out beyond that, but my actual shots would be OOF for that near part of the shot. When I can just set my distance on a distance scale after working out the appropriate focus distance on a DOF table, I seem to never have these problems. I prefer it to Fuji's focus peaking as well, because you can actually set it in a way you can SEE it - not always the case with the Fuji.

Someone who commented in the other thread related "For nex cameras, the level of focus peaking has to be changed depending on the light and the contrast of the lens. You can misfocus easily. I prefer the 5x zoom for precise focusing....". That seems consistent with my experience. I have an RX1 and I've been really happy with the peaking in magnified view (it doesn't show in full view on that camera). But using it with the full screen and I probably had it set to HIGH, just overwhelmed the actual range of focus. Like any tool, there are useful and less useful ways to use it, it seems.

-Ray