1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nex 6 vs DSLR

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by photoheron, Jul 9, 2013.

1. photoheron

photoheron TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 27, 2013
    Fort Smith Arkansas
    Brad
    Why did you choose a Nex 6 instead of a DSLR? Beside the obvious of being smaller, what other factors did consider in your decision?

2. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I use an NEX-7 but I'll chime in here if you don't mind.

You can't separate the 'smaller' away from the choice. It is the whole reason for the market. For the kind of shooting I most like, I need to have my camera with me all the time. I knew that a DSLR would languish on a shelf collecting dust after the 'new bloom' of gadgetry wore off. I'm housebreaking a puppy from an apartment and I still grab the camera every single time I go out. I knew years ago that DSLRs were not for me, a waste of money because I wouldn't have it with me.

The key here is reduced size with little reduced quality from mainstream DSLRs.

When the size became convenient, only then did buying a good camera become interesting to me. Until then it was point and shoots and camera phones all the way. Snapshot city.

The question is not why buy an NEX-6 over a DSLR, it's why buy a NEX-6 over the other mirrorless options.

I remember Steve Jobs talking about trucks and cars comparing desktop computers and laptops. I think it's like that.

If size and weight make no difference for you in purchasing a camera, then I really think it makes no sense at all to go the mirrorless route.

My 2 cents

Note:

I'm Canadian, my 2 cents are worth less than 2 cents and can't be used anymore.

3. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    I agree with Changsa above. I also have a NEX-7. I started out with a Canon T2i/550D. It's a great camera and as good a camera as I will realistically need for my photography.

But it is a bit big and heavy with some good lenses, not very portable. Also, I got into using older manual lenses that don't work on the EOS system.

I found that the NEX-7 slighty beat the T2i in terms of image quality, with higher resolution and greater dynamic range. Therefore I could in theory have skipped the Canon, but I still like using it.

If you are going with crop sensor, then Sony NEX makes more sense than most DSLRs out there. Only if you want to go full frame is there a distinct advantage with the DSLR format. But then it is much bulkier and more expensive.

4. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    For my part, I really love working with the new-fangled mirrorless cameras. They suit my contemplative shooting style much, much better (though I find I can keep up with the 2-year-old niece with just a bit of practice). My old DSLR was geared more for shooting via the optical viewfinder - the mirrorless cameras are all live view, all the time. That means you are ALWAYS composing, exposing and not least of all focusing right off the image sensor! If mirrorless cameras were twice as bulky and heavy as DSLRS, I would still favor them for this reason.

But of course they're not twice as cumbersome, they're half! :D

I love the adaptability as well. I have been tempted by the full-frame EOS and Alpha systems, but get put off by the prospect of having to start with a whole new lens system from scratch. Using existing/inherited/thrift store/craigslist glass suits my starving artist budget a whole lot better! (True I did get taken for a few e-mount lenses to cover the wide end. And LAS has taken its toll...)

In the minus column, AF isn't as snappy quite yet but that's not a major concern for me. The small batteries get drained more quickly - definitely have to think ahead about charging and carrying spares. My biggest gripe with NEX would be that the wafer thin body is a bit awkward on my big tripod head. (Awkward but not un-workable. And there are solutions...)

5. Jethro10

Jethro10 TalkEmount Regular

May 28, 2013
    One think I notice, and have hear mentioned a few times, is a mirrorless, especially the smaller NEX models look less "professional", more discrete.
    you get noticed, or stared at less lifting these up for a shot, you look more like a casual tourist. I believe you can get away with more (not in a bad way) using these small camera where there are people about.

Jeff

6. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    You know I hear this all the time, but sometimes it works the other way like "why are you taking my photo you creep" when a guy decked out in monster Canikon gear would get a pass because it is assumed he is some kind of pro.

The very same thing that lets you take shots as a casual tourist also means you may not be taken seriously as a photographer in certain situations.

7. Jethro10

Jethro10 TalkEmount Regular

May 28, 2013
    Yeah, I see that.
    Is the solution to have both? Horses for courses as they say.
    J

8. photoheron

Jun 27, 2013
    Fort Smith Arkansas
    Brad
    I have made the decision to go mirror less over a DSLR. I'm starting from the beginning again currently without any camera system, expect a point and shoot.
    I asked the question because the cost of entry level DSLR is price wise is close, the real question would be; Do you give up anything image wise using a Sony Nex, and is the Nex a step above entry level DSLRs

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Way I see it:
    -go DSLR if 1) you want full frame sensor and 2) don't mind not carrying the camera always with you
    -go Nex (mirrorless) if 1) you're happy with APS-C sensor. I'd choose the Nex over the entry level DSLRs since those use the same APS-C sensor anyway. And 2) if you want a camera that you can carry everywhere with you

10. photoheron

Jun 27, 2013
    Fort Smith Arkansas
    Brad
    Thanks for the help everyone. Camera buying decisions are always difficult. I'm in a position now that I can build a serious system slowly. To have a camera that can go everywhere appeals to me because I simply enjoy photography. From everyone's photo galleries the image quality is top notch. Now the decision is which Nex to chose.

11. justa

justa TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    For me it was the sensor that swayed it for me - size and weight was the most important thing (I had a D5100 & 16-85 so the lens alone weighed as much as my Nex 6 and lens!)

I looked at the Panasonics but just didn't fancy losing any image quality even if it was just low light.

Finally the Nex 6 had all the options I wanted including the best EVF (although I'm not that impressed compared to an optical viewfinder)

Early days for me but I'm hoping I made the right choice !

12. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Another factor is that mirrorless in general uses WYSIWYG stop-down metering. There's no need for a DoF preview button, and you see the depth of field already on LCD or in EVF. Stop-down metering is not as accurate, but you see what you're getting. You can also turn on histogram, at the time of capture, you already know if the exposure is right or not.