1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

NEX-6 -- time to buy?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by demiro, Jun 12, 2013.

1. demiro

demiro TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    I have a 5N which I am very happy with from an output standpoint. But in all honesty I have become totally frustrated by the UI. Usually you get used to how a given camera functions. With the 5N my acceptance of it has decreased over time. So I am very close to selling it and moving on from NEX.

But now I see some sweet deals on the NEX-6, which provides (maybe) just enough direct controls to make me happy, not to mention the VF, which I'd appreciate. So I'm trying to figure out just how stupid it would be to dump the 5N and grab a 6. I think the 6 is a bit worse in terms of video and low light stills, so I'm not thrilled with that. But I'm not sure how big or noticeable of a deal that would be.

Thanks for any thoughts!

2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I dumped my 5n for a 6.

No regrets but one... I had the articulate EVF for my 5n. I like to be able to shoot from kneeling and it worked very good pointing it up.

The 6 is stationary.

As for the controls it's almost the same.
    As long as you program all the things you use most its very simple.

Low light quality is not that different.

Video I don't shoot so I can't tell you.

Build quality is worlds apart.

Wifi sharing is fun for me. A little quirky but works.

3. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I have 5N and 6, both bought from used B&H stock. Initially I bought the nex-6 for 16-50mm lens with its size comparable to some P&S's like LX7. I was thinking I would prefer the 5N touch screen compared to 6 before I bought it, but the smaller package of nex-6 with the viewfinder and additional customization options made it better for me to use with manual lenses. For focus I use the center point focus without moving the camera from my face and shift it as I did with my dslrs. I don't do video but I read that the heating problem during video with 5n is gone with nex 6.

I have also OMD which is more dslr replacement for me with its lenses and af speed. However I need to put additional/optional grip with all Oly cameras as they are not that comfortable to hold with bigger lenses so the size becomes larger plus the viewfinder hump so I find nex-6 is my ideal camera to hold/carry. I think Fuji bodies are similar to Olympus EP series as they are rangefinder style but they have very good lenses, not sure about video and the af lags the competition. Both OMD and Fuji are running father's days deals also. I think it is a good time to buy/change camera/system as long as switching is not a too much loss.

4. pauliemacnz

pauliemacnz TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 8, 2013
    I stepped up from an original 5 to a 6. Big plus is the EVF, better fit in my (large) hands, great low lux and pretty good customizable settings once you know your way around it. Much less delving into the menu maze. Pop up flash occasionally good for fill, wi-Fi ok (bit gimmicky). I say go for it. It will do me for the next few years as I build up some good primes that Sony are finally bringing out, then I'll upgrade the body to whatever comes out in around 2 years.

5. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I got my 6 from amazon last week. Price was 748.00 body only.

On sale now. They gave me the price difference. :)

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

6. Janne303

Janne303 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 15, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Janne Eriksson
    I was going to change to nex 6 before a friend of me sold a evf for 60 euro... hehe. Now I will wait for a new model to come out... :)

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Like Deadbear I've become incredibly attached to the articulated EVF on my 5N. But I'm finding over time that even with the EVF the 5N is a bit difficult to shoot at eye level because of the body size. At least with rangefinder lenses. Just not much to hold on to.

If I had the money I'd probably pick up a 6 to shoot AF hand held and keep the 5N as my deliberate-off-the-tripod-with-MF-lens body.

8. Janne303

Janne303 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 15, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Janne Eriksson
    try a gariz halfcase... :D More to grip then. It gets as big as a Nex 6. Also the evf on nex 6 isnt tiltable (or how it spells...)

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    No work with a L-bracket. And I do a lot of tripod work. ;)

10. kendo1

kendo1 New to TalkEmount

Jan 7, 2013
    I just received my Nex 6 from 'pro camera shop'. Paid £469, free postage. It's gone up to £519 now but I see other sellers for £499.

Seems like a good time to buy.

11. dshin525

dshin525 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 4, 2013
    I recently upgraded to a 6 form 5R and I have no regrets. The 6 just feels better in my hand. Having said that, b/c I had the best buy protection plan when I bought the 5R, I got credit for what I actually paid for the 5R so the cost to move up to a 6 was minimal (vs if I had to sell the 5R and use the proceeds to buy the 6).

12. neebro

neebro New to TalkEmount

Jun 25, 2013
    What happened to your 5r to warrant the exchange? The screen on my 5n broke and it's currently in for repair at the moment but I wish they would just let me exchange it for a 6!

13. justa

justa TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    Hello - presume your in the uk ? Where have you seen the 6 for that price ?