1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

NEX-6 self timer & bracketed shots

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by kernowbhoy, Jan 4, 2013.

1. kernowbhoy

kernowbhoy New to TalkEmount

Dec 28, 2012
    Cornwall, UK
    Andy
    Hi,
    New to the forum and owner of a new NEX-6Y outfit.
    But I have a question about not being able to use the self-timer when taking bracketed shots.
    I use this facility on my Fuji X10 to ensure no camera wobble/vibrations from using the shutter button.
    Is there an ''app'' to allow use of the timer or another way ?
    Best regards,
    Andy

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hi Andy, welcome to the forum. :)

I believe that you'll need to get a wireless remote. They are all over ebay for a couple of dollars. Just do a search for "NEX remote".

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Hi Andy,

I'm new to the NEX-6 myself. But I just tested the iOS app with the camera, and though it won't allow you to take automatically bracketed shots per se, you can trigger the shutter remotely, and you can adjust the EV remotely before taking each shot. So yes, you can do bracketed shots remotely with an iPhone, and, I assume, with an Android device.

David

4. kernowbhoy

Dec 28, 2012
    Cornwall, UK
    Andy
    Thanks for the quick replies. Looks like the remote trigger then.
    Andy

5. sum-of-all-parts

sum-of-all-parts New to TalkEmount

Dec 30, 2012
    Los Angeles, California USA
    Brian Matsumoto
    Hi Andy,

David's reply was correct and may indeed be the only solution. The trouble with the IR remote (Remote Commander) is that using that command, disables the automatic exposure bracketing as well. However, you might want to try and live on the wild side. I do HDR photography and with the NEX cameras have gotten away with doing the exposure bracket by handholding the camera. When mounting the camera on a tripod, I have carefully fired the camera by pressing the shutter release button. When the different exposures are combined in Photomatix, the program does a good job in aligning the pictures. Theoretically, this is not as precise as the method you're using, but it works surprisingly well. If the light levels are good, I will do HDR photography without tripod mounting the camera and it is a liberating experience to be able to do this without the encumbrance of a tripod.

Brian Matsumoto
    Matsu Imaging | Fine Art and Photography Instruction

6. kernowbhoy

Dec 28, 2012
    Cornwall, UK
    Andy
    Hi Brian,
    Indeed I had read the manual again and had come to the same conclusion that I cannot use the remote and bracket shots facility at the same time !
    This is something I hope enough NEX-6 users can bring to Sonys' attention for the next NEX-6 version update !
    I do alot of ''realistic'' HDR shooting and as you say a steady camera is an advantage !
    Andy