Nex 6 reliability ?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Amamba, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    After my F3 AF died, I became suspicious of entry level Sony bodies' reliability. The fact that my barely 2 y.o. camera's rubberized grip is shedding the rubber layer doesn't help, either.

So, in order to keep the high ISO and DR performance, and go with a more robust system, I got the D5200 from Costco - a camera very highly rated by DXO. Another part of the plan was to get better jpegs out of camera, and spend less time in post.

Not very happy. The images are soft, underexposed, and I don't think the JPEGs are all that great. I got far better JPEGs from my Canon T3i. The kit lens may bear 80% of fault but I am not shelling $800 to check if it performs better with a different lens (unless you are in the Metro Detroit area and are willing to let me try your Nikon lens ;) ). I think this camera will go back to store.

I still like Nex. I am just wary of it's reliability, ruggedness, and Sony's CS.

How reliable are their top of the line cameras, esp. 6 ? Any good /bad stories ? If I spend money on a 6 I want it to last at least 4 years.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
  2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    I've had my NEX-6 for 8 months now. No problem whatsoever, no peeling grip rubber, no display problems. As for its resistance to water, I only used it a few times in very light drizzle for a short time. In general I treat my cameras gently.

The camera is on the market for what, 1.5 years at most now? So you won't get any reliable data as to its durability over a 4 year span.
  3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    I have a NEX-5 since it launched three and a half year and never had a problem (well, except that dust starts to get a problem ...). I guess the NEX-6 should hold up just as well.
  4. guillecastro

guillecastro TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 9, 2013
    Had the nex5 and nex6 since the beginning. The nex6 is like new. Nex5 screen started to peel.

Enviado desde mi iPad con Tapatalk HD
  5. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Got a 5N and 6, no problems here. I think that the NEX's need to be treated with a little respect in order to gain longevity. I have Canon 1D models that you can use to hammer nails in with and they still seem to keep going. The NEX isn't built to the same bullet proof standard and so need handling a little more carefully.

I would expect my NEX's to last a long time given proper handling.
  6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    I've had the NEX-6 for almost a year now, and it has taken many trips in the tank bag or panniers of my motorcycle, including plenty of off-pavement (read: paint-shaker) treatment. No problems so far.
  7. loonsailor

loonsailor TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Berkeley, CA, USA
    I've had my Nex-6 since they first came out, and I have good confidence in its reliability. I've had one weird firmware event, where I needed to pull the battery and get the camera to cold-boot, but only once.

Reliability depends on what you need. And, you may want to differentiate reliability from ruggedness.

The pro cameras, like the Nikon D4, are made to be super-reliable as a (the?) primary design goal. They'll work damn near anywhere - rain, snow, mud - are as close as possible to impervious to vibration, heat and cold, and there are famous photos of working photogs who've dropped them from great heights, or used them as shields when attacked with a billy club. Mostly, they keep working. You pay for that reliability with a big, heavy, very expensive camera. Much bigger, heavier and expensive than a similar pro-am camera (Nikon D7100, or D800) with 99% of the features and image quality. Clearly, the Nex-6 is not like those cameras. I guess I put it a notch below my Nikon D300, at least in "ruggedness". Barring environmental insults - shock, moisture, ... - it's probably just as reliable. But it's not weather sealed, and is probably somewhat less resistant to shock. If I whack them both against a wall, or get hit by a car, my bet would be on the Nikon to more likely remain functional.

So, do you need reliability, or do you need ruggedness? And how much size, weight and money are you willing to pay for it? For me, the Nex-6 is a fine answer for almost everything I do. When I really need ruggedness, I often pull out my Lumix DMC-T3, which is waterproof to 10m, reasonably shock-proof, etc., but a big step down in image quality. If I go back to Antarctica, I'll probably shoot with my Nikons again. For almost everything else I do, the Nex-6 is just fine.
  8. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I am only familiar with Canon entry level DSLRs, and in my 7+ years of dealing with them they proved to be both reliable and very rugged. Even though technically they were not weather sealed, they were well designed to prevent minor spills from getting inside the body.

However, my choices just shrank dramatically. I bought a Nikon D5200 kit from Costco, that got such glowing scores on DXOmark. I thought I would sacrifice the portability for better ruggedness/better AF and better or same sensor performance as my Nex, and SOOC Jpegs that could actually be useful.

This camera is very underwhelming, to be honest. I don't know what all the fuss is about. The JPEGs straight out are worse than what I get from my lowly F3 - and I am not much in love with Sony JPEGs. The Nikon jpegs don't have the reddish skin cast or the terrible NR artifacts of Sony, instead they have greenish cast and overall softness. Sony destroys detail in shadows by excessive NR, Nikon doesn't lift shadows nearly enough despite having the same DR. I am sure this can all be tweaked but the softness is still there in Raw. This may be because the kit 18-55 VR lens is crap, but the bottom line is, I get better output from my F3 with a 30 years old Minolta 35-70, so I see no reasons to spend close to a couple grand on Nikon with a better lens to eventually get the same results. I expected much more. In situations where DR or high ISO are not a concern, I'd say Jpegs from my old T3i would blow D5200 completely out of the water even with Canon 18-55 kit lens, in terms of sharpness, colors, AF accuracy, exposure and skin tones.

So no Nikon route for me, and no going back to Canon unless they get a more modern sensor. I am (with a rather heavy heart) set on getting another Nex, most likely 6.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  9. ajm80031

ajm80031 TalkEmount Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    It's always possible you got a bad unit with the Nikon. However, your guess that the kit lens is probably at fault for much of the image softness is probably on the money. Is there a decent camera store in your area? You could go in there, try one of their better Nikon lenses on your D5200, and see how much difference results.

It's unlikely to help the color cast you mention, though.
  10. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I just returned Nikon and ordered Nex 6 from B&H. The color cast and excessive shadows could be fixed by playing with settings, but softness was probably not just the lenses - at least 55-300VR which was also part of the kit was supposed to be an OK lens optically. There's quite a bit of discussion on the web about D5200 softness, with some blaming the AA filter, some blaming mirror slap. In the end, even the Nex JPegs - which I don't like by the way - were better SOOC, and it just didn't make sense to go back to a large and expensive camera if it didn't deliver superior results ( I use RAW but wanted to have usable Jpegs). I think if I do go back to DSLR it would be either Canon or Sony.

Anyway, Nex 6 body is on the way, and I plan on getting LAEA2 eventually.
  11. lowbone

lowbone TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    I have not had my NEX long enough to speak of its reliability. I do know that there are some substances that will cause a grip to peel, sun screen being one and insect repellant being another. If you have these on your hands when you handle the camera it will affect the the rubberized covering. Just a thought of course I have no idea if you used any of these
  12. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    Well whatever. The problem is either you or you have a bad D 5200. The kit lens is very good, I’ve had two, and if you haven’t solved the RAW problem try using ViewNX2? Word of caution though at 24 MP’s converting is slow. I can get very good JPEGs from my old Nikon D 60 with one of the kit lenses.
    Nikon default settings are dull. Sharpening for instance is set very low.
    If, on the other hand, you want something smaller I would suspect that the Sony, if treated fairly, will last quite awhile and is an very good camera.
  13. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Well, since it wasn't "me" while shooting Canon XTi, 40D, T2i, and T3i, I suspect it's the camera. Especially since both kit lenses produced similarly soft results. The Tele kit is supposed to be fine. Also, I found multiple references and threads about D5200 softness and speculations regarding the reasons, from mirror slap to strong AA filter. Personally I doubt it's mirror slap as using Live View didn't produce much better results.

Anyway, I am waiting for Nex 6 to arrive on Tuesday.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2