NEX-6 quick navigation?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by ajm80031, Jul 17, 2013.

1. ajm80031

ajm80031 TalkEmount Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    So I've received my NEX-6 and just finished charging the battery. I'm going through the menus and adjusting the settings to my liking. One thing that's confusing me is that I've seen references online to the NEX-6 having a "quick navigation" function or control panel, and some claims that it's not enabled by default. I've failed to find anything with that name in the instruction manual, and Googling on it only gives vague references.

So what is the Quick Navigation function, and if it's something I have to specifically enable how do I do so?

Thanks in advance for any info.

2. nex6phil

nex6phil New to TalkEmount

Jun 2, 2013
    Are you refering to the 'Function' button (labeled Fn) located on top of the camera by the shutter button?

It works as a function shortcut instead of diving into the menu.

I use aperture priority most of the time and it gives me quite a few functions to adjust like focus, WB, metering, etc.

I have an NEX-6 too and find this pretty useful.

Sent from my GALAXY NOTE 2 using TalkNEX mobile app

3. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
  4. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    If you are looking to enable the quick navi display on the LCD, select menu, then camera, scroll to DISP Button (Monitor). Move the curser to and select For viewfinder. A miniature quick navi window will show. Back all the way out to the picture taking mode. Now press DISP on the control wheel and toggle through the displays to the quick navi display. Press the Fn button to bring the curser into the group of icons. Rotate the control wheel or control dial to the item and press soft key C (center button). Hope this helps and good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ajm80031

ajm80031 TalkEmount Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    Larry,

I expect that's what I'm after. Thanks for the instructions.

6. captura

captura New to TalkEmount

Oct 4, 2013
    Hi, I understand all of the above. But I own a NEX-5R and although the Navi screen is there just like on the NEX-6, and using the Fn button etc., there is no way to point to selections on the screen. Attempting to use the 5R's touchscreen feature, all I get is a message saying that "Touch operation cannot be used in this screen." This most unfortunate.. it seems as though the Sony developers just stopped this project without finishing it. Even my Olympus PEN cameras have their "Super Control Panel" feature which is the same thing as the 6's Quick Navi Screen.
    * Have I missed something and is there a way to activate this feature on the NEX-5R and 5T?
    Thank you.

7. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
  8. sabesh

sabesh TalkEmount Regular

Nov 22, 2013
    Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
    Sammy
    Thx, I would have never figured this out on my without reading the manual!

9. Azon

Azon TalkEmount Regular

Jul 31, 2013
    Thanks Larry,
    never found this valuable option myself:)

10. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    You're welcome As on.

Larry

Happy Trails

• Like Like x 1
  11. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    Oops. Sorry Azon, the auto spell checker massed up your name..

Larry

Happy Trails

• Like Like x 1