NEX-6 QUESTION-When turning camera on, takes a long time for the camera to adjust to the right color

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Nex6, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Nex6

Nex6 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 16, 2013
    Dear all,

I have a question about the NEX 6 that has been bothering me for a while now. When turning camera on (set at AWB), it takes a long time for the camera to adjust to the right colors. For example, if when I first turn the camera on, in both the LCD and the EVF I see that the color of the live image is very yellow or warm and then after about 4 seconds the camera finally adjusts to the right color. Is there something wrong with my camera? What annoys me the most is that even my point and shoot camera that costs $100 dollars doesn't need this time to adjust when it is turned on. This is especially noticable when I am indoors. Outdoors when it is very bight, the adjusting time seems to be very short maybe half of a second.

When I take pictures during the "yellow" times for the first couple of second when the camera is still adjusting, interestingly, my pictures don't come out yellow, they come out with normal color. This makes me think that this lag in adjustment is coming from my LCD and EVF instead of the sensor itself.

For something so expensive, I find it pretty amazing that it would have this long adjustment to the color at start up. Is this a defect of my camera or is everyone else having the same issues? Is there a way to fix this by changing the settings?

Thank you!!!:crying:

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Welcome to the forum. :) Yours is the first issue like this I have heard of. Perhaps it happens fairly frequently but isn't an issue for others. Does seem strange. It may be that the resolution of the LCD/EVF are part of the cause vs. the rather low resolution of the typical P&S camera.

Someone with a 6 will need to chime in though, I've never even seen anything but a 5N in person.

3. Nex6

Nex6 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 16, 2013
    Thanks for the response!!

4. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Just fired my 6 up indoors to see if I could see what you are seeing, but it appeared to be normal from start up. If it renders colours normally when shooting, I don't think I would worry about it personally. Most cameras seem to have their little individual quirks in my experience, some more annoying than others.

Maybe the old trick of resetting to factory settings and then resetting custom settings might right it for you. Worth a try, I have found that sorts out some oddities.

Every so often my 6 decides to shoot two pictures with a single press of the button as if it were in high speed sequence mode whilst set to single shot. Not a big issue, but damned annoying nonetheless!

5. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    He also makes two pictures or hear you 2 times the sound of the shutter release button. Look or Shutter curtain front is enabled.

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    My 5N was doing that for awhile. Turns out I sometimes have a twitchy trigger finger. ;)

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    My 5 sometimes (but not everytime) makes the shutter sound when I turn the switch to "off". But it does not record a pic in the memory card...

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I think they all do that occassionally.

9. Nex6

Nex6 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 16, 2013
    Thanks for the responses all. Actually it happends more noticibly when it is indoors and night time with indoor lights environment and no lights from window. So bright indoor like day time I won't have much of that adjustment time.

Do you mind trying it out again when it is indoor and night time?

Thanks a lot!
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TalkNEX mobile app

10. chains007

chains007 New to TalkEmount

Aug 19, 2013

I know exactly what you're talking about. I just got mine last week and have experienced the same issue. It definitely happens more at night, indoors with low light. The funny thing is that if you take a photo before the LCD screen adjusts, the picture isn't affected....it's still the image with the proper colors that would have appeared if you waited longer. It's as if the LCD hasn't caught up to the real image being sensed yet.

11. Nex6

Nex6 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 16, 2013
    Ok so its not that my camera is defective but I guess its just the way its built. I know its not a huge issue but something this expensive I would think Sony should have dealt with this.

My cheap point and shoot and my old canon DSLR never had this issue. They are instant adjustments to the environment.

12. Nex6

Nex6 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 16, 2013
    Well, that being said, I'm still pretty pleased with the camera overall though.:)