1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

NEX-6 potential memory card issue

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by wpereira, May 6, 2013.

1. wpereira

wpereira TalkEmount Rookie

May 6, 2013
    I just purchased a NEX-6 and from time to time I run into this error.. "writing to memory card unable to operate" Has anyone else encountered this problem? I don't think it's the memory card since it's a SanDisk Ultra card that can write at 30MB/sec. Just wondering if I have a bad camera or if there is a known workaround for this problem. I'm shooting in JPEG currently and working in single frame mode for the most part so it's definitely not something related to continuous shooting and causing the buffer to fill up.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    It may well be the card. Have you tried a different one? They do go bad occasionally. Maybe clean the contacts? Formatted it lately? Lots of things to check on the card before you declare the camera at fault. Not to say it's not the camera, but check out the least expensve component of the system first.

3. wpereira

May 6, 2013
    This is the second card now.. I had a Class 6 earlier and thought it may have been due to the card being slow. Picked up the Sandisk Ultra class 10 and seeing the same behavior. I did format the card before using it.

4. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Odd, I always use Sandisk Ultra in all my cameras and haven't seen this. I would have said formatting would have sorted it out. Just out of interest, did you format it in camera or computer?

Formatting in computer can cause problems particularly if you use a Mac.

Other than that, I guess it sounds like a camera problem.

5. wpereira

May 6, 2013
    Formatted in camera... not sure what else to try.. thanks for the reply.

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well, you've pretty well eliminated the card(s) so it looks like a trip to the shop. How long have you had the camera & can you return it? If so, that's what I'd do.