NEX-6: Photos taken, but not stored?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Marshland, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Marshland

Marshland TalkEmount Regular

Aug 3, 2014
    This is a weird one. I was at a jazz festival at the weekend, taking about 150 or so photos using my trusty old Canon FD 50mm, all in RAW format. I don't normally 'chimp', so never checked any of the photos at the time.
    At home I attempted to transfer the photos from the camera to my PC via USB and found just five photos. These were all taken immediately before I left the festival, after a quick trip to the loo...

So, why just the last five photos? Where were all the other photos I took? I checked the card (a SanDisk Ultra HCI 32GB) using some file recovery software, after a long scan it found plenty of old deleted photos, some dating back years, but none of the mysteriously absent ones.

I put this down to a glitch and used an identical replacement card for photos the next day.
    On arrival at the second day of the festival, now using my seldom used SEL55210, I switched on and the camera wasn't recognising the lens properly. I had to do a full reset, which resolved the problem. I had no further problems, all photos taken were still there afterwards.

The latter I can dismiss as an annoying little glitch, but a complete failure to store photos seems very odd to me, bearing in mind they never appeared to be written to the card. Anyone else ever experienced similar? Is it a sign that my NEX-6 is on its way out? By the way, the camera was not subjected to any physical shock at any time.
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Well that sucks. My first thought is that the card is having issues since the replacement seemed to work just fine.

Sent from my SM-N920P using TalkEmount app
  3. Marshland

Marshland TalkEmount Regular

Aug 3, 2014
    Well hopefully it was just a card problem rather than the camera itself, although I'd have thought any write issues would be reported by the camera at the time.