1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

NEX-6 or NEX-7? Or wait for possible NEX-7 successor?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by account1, Sep 2, 2013.

1. account1

account1 New to TalkEmount

Sep 2, 2013
    Hey guys, I'm looking to get into mirrorless cameras and I have my eyes on either the NEX-6 or NEX-7. I'm personally leaning towards the NEX-6 as it's considerably cheaper and almost the same quality but I want to know if the Tri-Navi system on the NEX-7 is worth the extra money to get. I know that the NEX-6 came out in 2012 and NEX-7 came out in 2011 so I would think it's due for a refresh. You guys think I should wait it out or just jump on it when I see a deal? Thanks!

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Welcome to the forum and eventually the NEX. :)

Rumor has it the 7 replacement is just around the corner. I think it's all personal preference between the 6 or 7 as to controls etc. Either camera is more than capable of stunning images. You'll get equally strong answers from the supporters of either body. But not from me, I shoot a 5N. :)

3. Fiddler

Fiddler TalkEmount Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
    Welcome

I'm a NEX-7 user, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at 6!

4. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Problem is, said rumor has been floating around for months and no one can confirm it's actually coming any time soon.
    The IQ is about on par (I have both and I'd even dare say the 6 has the SLIGHEST edge) but the TriNavi and build quality of the 7 makes it (for me) a much more enjoyable camera. I'd definitely grab a 7 if you can find a good deal.

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yep, NEX-7 is a better camera for the build quality and tri navi. But if you want to save money - everything else is just about the same in the NEX-6.

As for the successor - I wait now almost a year for the NEX-7 successor. Now there aren't even any more reliable rumors, so it may come at the end of the year, or it may not come at all in favor of the FF-NEX, who knows. I wouldn't recommend waiting if you need a camera now.

6. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I love my NEX-6. It depends on what features are more important to you. The 6 came later so it has some things the 7 does not, like Wifi and being able to add APPS like the new one that is for lens correction which looks interesting specially for legacy lenses of course. The 7 has higher resolution. You cant really go wrong with either so it all depends on what matters more to you.

7. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    I love the NEX-7 Tri-navi system, couldn't use anything else anymore. Try them out in a shop if you can and feel the difference. After that it's all really whether you need the extra resolution or not.

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    H
    Ah thanks for completing my thought guys, I got distracted and didn't finish what I meant to say- I wouldn't wait for the NEX 7 replacement if it were me.

9. Fiddler

Fiddler TalkEmount Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
    Sony got so much right with the NEX-7. It still amazes me. I wouldn't care if Sony never brought out a successor.

10. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Can't go wrong with either IMHO...
    For me its just a matter of price - I always buy used gear so I'd buy whichever I found cheaper

11. nexboy6

nexboy6 New to TalkEmount

Sep 2, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Bruce
    its the 6 for me - the apps, shooting via smartphone is cool,and all the reports I read say the 6 is better in low light than 7.
    Nexboy6

12. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    NEX-7 for me.

There's also the option of waiting for the NEX-7 successor and then picking up an NEX-7 as the price will undoubtedly drop. There should also be many good bargains on used NEX-7 at that time.

13. Benjamin

Benjamin TalkEmount Regular

I just got the nex 7 a few days ago, and have gone on a few photo walks with it and have to say that I am extremely pleased with it.

14. Gandalf

Gandalf TalkEmount Regular

Sep 5, 2013
    I jumped into the NEX community with the original NEX-5. I'd been waiting for a high quality digital camera that would let me continue using a 35+ year accumulation of legacy manual focus lenses (Canon FD) and the NEX-5 did that. I determined quickly that, while the IQ was everything I needed, the lack of a viewfinder was a serious deficit when using long telephotos and with my crappy eyesight. The later -5 variants offered a plugin finder which did not appeal to me on several levels, while the -7 was a bit over budget so soon after I'd bought the NEX-5. Later revelations about the -7 apparently having some IQ issues with ultrawide legacy glass made me choose the NEX-6 when the discretionary funds allowed.

The NEX-6 starts (more or less) with the 16MP sensor of the NEX-5, then added some improvements to the sensor, some tweaks to the firmware, and especially the all-important finder. The OLED viewfinder on the -6 is a positively brilliant technological leap, offering a digital finder that is fast enough to be called live view IMO. Add in the ability to customize your NEX-6 with DLed apps and you have a camera that offers nearly everything and lacks very little.

BTW, if you have or might someday want to play with off-camera flash, the ISO hotshoe on the NEX-6 is another example of Sony actually listening to their customers, and is another reason to choose this camera, IMO. I'm using Cactus V5 wireless triggers and I'm very pleased with the NEX-6's ability to use multiple off-camera flashes, including rear curtain sync.

If you're willing to wait for the rumored full frame NEX body, and to pay what will certainly be a high premium, then wait for that. Otherwise, jump on the next deal for the NEX-6.