1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

NEX-6 or NEX-7 for adapted glass?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by ean10775, Sep 27, 2012.

1. ean10775

ean10775 New to TalkEmount

Sep 27, 2012
    Cleveland
    As a new member, this is my first post here, however I am long-time member of the m43 user group Amin also runs. I'm considering switching from m43 to NEX as a secondary system to my Canon 5DII mainly for the larger sensor, built in EVF of the NEX-6 and -7, articulated LCD, focus peaking for legacy and adapted glass and the ability to do strobist-style flash photography while still utilizing an EVF (I do realise the G- and GH series Panasonic cams as well as the Olympus EM-5 can do this). I'm admittedly not terribly interested in the native lens offerings from Sony as Canon will remain my primary system but am trying to determine which of the two NEX cameras with built-in EVF is the better option for me.

I would assume that the NEX-6 would have better high-ISO performance than the NEX-7 due to the reduction in resolution to 16MP (similar to the claims that the NEX-5n bests the NEX-7 noise-wise at higher ISO), and the NEX-6 also will have a standard hotshoe (which should work with my Cybersyncs and existing flash gear without the need for an adapter) so that's the way I'm leaning. Is there any reason I should be considering the NEX-7 over the NEX-6 seeing as I'm only planning on using adapted glass. I should also mention the other draw for me with NEX is the ability to shoot HD video at 60fps and have focus peaking, which I can't do on my 5DII. Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    First off, welcome ot the board. :)

Given your criteria it would seem the 6 would be a better choice for you than the 7.

3. ean10775

Sep 27, 2012
    Cleveland
    Thanks Bimjo. I appreciate the reply.

4. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    The one clear advantage of the 7 is obviously megapixels, so if you tend to crop a lot in PP, that would be a consideration.

Secondly, the new 6 controls with 2 dials on the same wheel may not be to everyone's taste. While it sounds great in theory, I'd seriously make sure to try it out in a store before buying.

If it were me buying a brand new NEX tomorrow though, I'd go for a 6 :)

5. ean10775

Sep 27, 2012
    Cleveland
    Thanks, that was one thing I was indeed wondering about - I like the idea of the tri-nav controls, but since I'd be using legacy or adapted glass, that third control seems overkill as aperture will always be controlled on the lens, leaving the other two dials to control shutter speed and ISO (assuming they can be assigned as such). Agreed that i would be best to try the camera out in store prior to laying out for it, but in my neck of the woods I don't know if that will be a viable option. There are a few camera shops that carry the NEX-7 so hopefully they will get in some NEX-6s, but it took quite a while for them to get around to stocking the NEX-7 (only very recently).

6. Luiz Curcino

Luiz Curcino TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    Uberlandia-MG Brasil
    I was thinking of buying a nex7 ... Now I'll wait for the nex6 reviews to decide ...