NEX-6 + Lens Turbo 2 vs A7..a sample image at ISO 6400

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by shaolin95, Oct 8, 2014.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    This is NOT any scientific test...just was dying to see what the NEX-6 with Lens Turbo 2 could do vs the A7 with my FD lenses at ISO 6400 so I went to the local store that has it and was able to snap a few quick shots. They have no display model so I was rushing thus sorry about the lack of a tripod and all those things. Just did the same settings and shoot away.

This is A7 JPG (stupidly I forgot to set RAW+JPG..may need to go again) vs NEX-6 JPG vs NEX-6 RAW processed with DXO.

I have been trying to determine if upgrading to the A7 is a wise decision for me right now thus my desire to do this quick test.

Regards

PS I did not check if the A7 has been updated as I recall reading the JPG engine got much better. I hope I can do the test with RAW during the weekend.

So the following samples were taken with the Canon FD 35mm F2

Sony NEX-6 stock JPG
    NEX6 Stock jpg by GabrielG2k11, on Flickr

Sony NEX-6 raw processed with DXO

NEX6 using DXO by GabrielG2k11, on Flickr

Sony A7

Sony A7 by GabrielG2k11, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  2. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Thanks for sharing!

I'm considering buying a focal reducer for my NEX-7. I figure I can turn my two MD mount lenses into four. My Rokkor 50mm 1.4 can be turned into the equivalent of a 35mm 1.2 for crop ( does that make sense?).

Regarding your comparisons - the Processed NEX-6 images compares favorable to the A7 image. The NEX-6 JPG not so much when you look at the shadows and noise.

3. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I think that with the same lens, and speed booster, the Nex 6 should have a 1 stop advantage. Wouldn't it be more fair to test the A7 at 6400 and the Nex 6 at 3200? Then the shutter speeds should roughly line up.

4. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    I bought the metabones speed booster, thinking it would give me more options as you describe.

In reality though, I never use my Minolta glass without it anymore. Just too good to go back.

• Like Like x 1
  5. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Well I get the idea although I now think in terms of 35mm instead but same concept. :)
    I agree, I was expecting a lot more from the A7 vs a 6 with the LT and DXO but then again, I have read the JPG engine on the A7 was pretty bad before the updates so maybe that one was not updated. I need to use RAW for both for a more even comparison.

Well, I wanted ISO to be equal first of all so I set all settings manually. Still my Exposure was showing 0 on the NEX-6 at the same settings but you can see how the JPG was actually brighter so there is indeed still some gain of light with the LT2 but not a full stop in my opinion compared to the A7 since I assume the A7 by nature has an advantage over the 6.

Funny that the same thing happens to me. I rarely take the LT2 off my camera now but still is good to know if I need it, I can do it..like for moonshots.

Regards

• Like Like x 1
  6. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    It just goes to show, if you are going to use legacy lenses with a focal length reducer anyway, APSC is not that far behind full frame!

At least in certain situations, and when viewing on a screen. Keeps me happy with my 5R.

• Like Like x 1
  7. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Indeed! Of course there is dynamic range (luckily the 6 is no slouch at that either) and the extra resolution shows up on some areas, plus a lens like the 17mm seemed to work better on the A7 than with the LT2 (couldnt even focus to infinity with it) but overall, I was hoping for a dramatic ISO advantage at 6400 to make me go for an upgrade. So I guess my poor finances are happy with the results instead :D

8. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    Perhaps in 6 months more, when an A7s costs what an A7 does now, then we can jump in to full frame

9. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    I wouldnt mind getting an A7 as I loved the EVF and I am sure the extra dynamic range and being able to use any legacy lens instead of having to own a LT2 for each brand (If i wanted different ones) is nice.
    Then again, is nice that my sensor does not get dirty since the LT2 is always on the way :D

But yeah, I want to get a more dramatic improvement to move on, like a 6400 looking like 3200 on my nex-6 or even 1600...THAT would be awesome but without having to go to 12MP. The A7R is one I really like...somehow the cropping capability makes me drool....the sickness of pixel peeping lol

• Like Like x 1