• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

NEX-6 eyecup loss

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
Yesterday I went to shoot some pictures only to realize that the eyecup to my viewfinder was missing. :thumbdown::thumbdown:

I must have spent 20 minutes looking for it with no luck and resigned myself to it being lost. This morning I went online looking for a replacement.

Well this afternoon I found it while cleaning. :thumbup:

I've noticed it comes off so easy and almost lost it a few times before this, anyone superglued this thing on?

roundball

TalkEmount Legend
The eyecup has come off my NEX-7 a couple times now and I'm going to tack it in place, but instead of 'superglue' I'm thinking of using something different.
The common silicone bathtub sealer also come in black color and planning to put a trace of it in the grooves then snap the eyecup in place.
I'm thinking it should hold the eyecup on, but let me peel it off if in the future if need be without damaging anything.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
The eyecup has come off my NEX-7 a couple times now and I'm going to tack it in place, but instead of 'superglue' I'm thinking of using something different.
The common silicone bathtub sealer also come in black color and planning to put a trace of it in the grooves then snap the eyecup in place.
I'm thinking it should hold the eyecup on, but let me peel it off if in the future if need be without damaging anything.

Not a bad idea.

I like superglue generally, but concerned about using it so close to the optic.

chrid

Super Noob
Real Name
Chris
The eye cup has come off a few times on my nex-6, but it could be because of the Domke F-5XB bag I have is a tight fit the way I have it setup, I would be worried about superglue it tends to run along a surface when being applied, silicone may be a better option, hope sony doesn't try to charge $20 bucks for one of these things.

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
I must be the exception since I never had the eyecup lost on my Nex-6.
As a matter of fact after attaching it for the first time when I got the camera, I noticed that on mine its even very difficult to take off on purpose :confused:

chrid

Super Noob
Real Name
Chris
I think that every time it is removed, accidentally or on purpose it wears out a little each time, I could be wrong but that's just my feeling of it.

José De Bardi

Assistant in Virtue
Real Name
José
I lost the eye cup on my A6000 the first time I took it out. I was cheeky and contacted Sony and said it wasn't in the box and they mailed me a new one.

It comes off far too easily. I am tempted to fix it on, but not sure how. Silicone option seems reasonable... On the other side of the coin, I like not having it on as it is a bit bulky and only really needed on sunny days.

Deadbear77

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Kevin
I had the same problem. I used black electrical tape. Also use it in my a7r to keep the eye cup secured and also use a piece to cover the "sony" logo.

Not because I don't like sony. Just think it too big.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
José De Bardi;60843.. On the other side of the coin said:
Besides its usage on sunny days, I always thought it's also for resting your eye onto something more soft than directly on the plastic...

roundball

TalkEmount Legend
OK, just finished the black silicone treatment to try and hold the eyecup more securely in place, using the following steps:

1) Removed the eyecup

2) Wiped around the camera mounted plastic frame & grooves of the eyecup holder with a Q-tip only 'damp' with Acetone so there was no chance of any excess coming off out it;

3) Using a small thin sliver split out of a popsicle stick as a tiny putty knife, I slid it into the mouth of the tube of black silicone, then wiped the silicone onto / around the surfaces of the camera mounted plastic frame & grooves;

4) Snapped the eyecup back in place

5) Using a clean Q-tip I wiped each edge around the 'inside' of the eyecup to ensure no residue squeezed out into the eyecup side of the frame;

6) Using the tiny "putty knife" I added a wide layer of black silicone around the left, top, and right sides of the eyecup where it overlapped the camera mounted frame to create a thick band of silicone along those joints...giving the eyecup a wider gripping / holding seam than just the little bit of silicone that got down into the tiny narrow plastic grooves themselves.

Hope I made that clear...and of course my description / terminology is mine, based upon NEX-7 design...other eyecups will be slightly different for sure, but the concept should remain the same.
Took only 8-10 minutes and while I have no way to "know" at this point, I definitely came away with a feeling that I just added one heck of a lot of additional holding strength around that eyecup after it cures and firms up...will let it sit undisturbed for a day or two just to be sure it dries & cures 100%.

chrid

Super Noob
Real Name
Chris
Sweet, let us know how it goes

Sent from my C6903 using TalkEmount mobile app

roundball

TalkEmount Legend
"...let us know how it goes..."

Well, that might be a little tricky.
:confused:
Its only come off twice in a year due to being bumped or something as it is.
And I'm not going to intentionally try to bump it off.
So no telling if and when it might ever come off again...hopefully never.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
Besides its usage on sunny days, I always thought it's also for resting your eye onto something more soft than directly on the plastic...

Ya, shot that one day without it, and I could live without it, but it is much more comfortable with it in place.

Well, that might be a little tricky.
:confused:
Its only come off twice in a year due to being bumped or something as it is.
And I'm not going to intentionally try to bump it off.
So no telling if and when it might ever come off again...hopefully never.

You could give it a wiggle, just to see.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
OK, just finished the black silicone treatment to try and hold the eyecup more securely in place, using the following steps:

1) Removed the eyecup

2) Wiped around the camera mounted plastic frame & grooves of the eyecup holder with a Q-tip only 'damp' with Acetone so there was no chance of any excess coming off out it;

3) Using a small thin sliver split out of a popsicle stick as a tiny putty knife, I slid it into the mouth of the tube of black silicone, then wiped the silicone onto / around the surfaces of the camera mounted plastic frame & grooves;

4) Snapped the eyecup back in place

5) Using a clean Q-tip I wiped each edge around the 'inside' of the eyecup to ensure no residue squeezed out into the eyecup side of the frame;

6) Using the tiny "putty knife" I added a wide layer of black silicone around the left, top, and right sides of the eyecup where it overlapped the camera mounted frame to create a thick band of silicone along those joints...giving the eyecup a wider gripping / holding seam than just the little bit of silicone that got down into the tiny narrow plastic grooves themselves.

Hope I made that clear...and of course my description / terminology is mine, based upon NEX-7 design...other eyecups will be slightly different for sure, but the concept should remain the same.
Took only 8-10 minutes and while I have no way to "know" at this point, I definitely came away with a feeling that I just added one heck of a lot of additional holding strength around that eyecup after it cures and firms up...will let it sit undisturbed for a day or two just to be sure it dries & cures 100%.

I did pretty much the same thing, but went ahead with the superglue.

No mess, no fuss, and I could use it almost inmediatly.

chrid

Super Noob
Real Name
Chris
Might need to take a trip to the hardware store then :)

Sent from my C6903 using TalkEmount mobile app

roundball

TalkEmount Legend
My concern would be if the existing eyecup got damaged somehow and I had to remove / replace it, would something like superglue bond the plastic ridges of the eyecup into the groove so strong that the eyecup plastic would break off and leave the grooves filled with glued in plastic.
And if so, trying to get that out of there with a dremel tool or something, everything would get buggered up. I do have to wait 24-48 hours on the silicone but I can, not a problem...I wanted to "know" I can get this thing off cleanly if need be.
I'll give it a wiggle test tomorrow...

bugeyed

New to TalkEmount
My concern would be if the existing eyecup got damaged somehow and I had to remove / replace it, would something like superglue bond the plastic ridges of the eyecup into the groove so strong that the eyecup plastic would break off and leave the grooves filled with glued in plastic.
And if so, trying to get that out of there with a dremel tool or something, everything would get buggered up. I do have to wait 24-48 hours on the silicone but I can, not a problem...I wanted to "know" I can get this thing off cleanly if need be.

Not only the permanence of super glue, but many formulations will fog surrounding materials. I would be afraid that the out gassing would get onto/into the eyepiece. Not worth trying, IMO.
kev

roundball

TalkEmount Legend
Just realized I haven't gotten back on this...wiggle test performed...the eyepiece seems much better bonded to the body than before.

When it was just plastic to plastic, I concluded that a bump would allow the eyepiece plastic frame to flex enough to then pop / jump off the plastic frame on the body.
I get the feeling that the black silicon now seems to act like a shock absorber and I have a lot more confidence that the eyepiece will stay on the camera now...

Rich

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Funnily enough I found my NEX6 eyecup sitting in the bottom of my bag the other day. First time that has happened. I may well go the superglue route!

Latest threads

Top Bottom