1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Nex-6 + CZ 24/1.8 or Nex-7 + 35/1.8 OSS ?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Braza, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Braza

Braza New to TalkEmount

Mar 22, 2013
    Help me to decide. Overall cost is the same. What to prefer? :)

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The CZ24 above everything. Except if you prefer the focal length of the 35mm one. The 7 has a much better control scheme than the 6, but if you can't get the 24mm lens than, it's not worth it imho.

Just a question: Why do you calculate a 500 price difference between the 6 and the 7? The first costs €700, the second €900 ..

3. Braza

Braza New to TalkEmount

Mar 22, 2013
    I like the 35mm equivalent more, because I think that 50mm is not wide enough for everyday use.

Unfortunately I can't get Nex-7 + CZ 24/1.8 combo. So thats why I started this post. :)

I live in Moscow, so the prices may vary from US. Here the 7 + 35 and 6 + 24 combos will cost about the same.

4. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    How about 6+35 OSS+20 pancake (new coming)? So it should cover the range on both ends. We should see the 20mm soon...

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    For me, NEX-6 and 24/1.8 without a doubt, but that is based on focal length preference.

6. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I won't lie here, I'm biased - because I use and love the 24mm CZ. But when the 6 + 24mm costs as much as the 7 + 35mm, I personally would call the first package a better value. Also, you will keep this lens probably forever, a body.. well, not much longer than three years I'd guess, that's why I always say lenses first.

7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes. That is very valid point. I would take nex-6 and the CZ too.

8. Hawon

Hawon TalkEmount Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Hawon
    +1!!!! Plus body price goes down as time goes and a good lens price goes up as time goes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

9. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I concur - digital bodies come and go, but lenses are somewhat more permanent. Plus, the mild wide angle of the SEL24 is my go-to whilst roaming about.

10. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I wonder how well the new(ish) all electronic lenses will hold up over time compared to all manual (dumb) lenses? Somehow I have trouble seeing somone bidding on a SEL lens on ebay in 40 years. Except as a curiousity. ;)

11. kaptnkain

kaptnkain TalkEmount Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    Ilya
    + 1 for whatever combo with the CZ24.

12. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    My SEL50mm didn't last a year. I hardly used it outside of the house and was making loud noise (maybe OSS) when I used it after a while. It was under warranty, so Sony replaced it with a refurbished unit. Another used SEL24mm from B&H was in a similar condition when they were first released, so I returned that one back. So I wouldn't bet they will last that long...

13. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Recently bought the CZ 24 to go with my NEX 6. It is now the only lens I use.

Zeiss or Sony, no competition, Zeiss every time!
    If the focal length suits of course.

14. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    +1. This is the truth.

15. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I try not to think about that. :rolleyes:

The Sigmas I view as disposable. But over the 4 years they're warrantied for, I expect to get my money's worth out of those.

The SEL24 would take quite a bit longer before I'd feel okay about putting it in the garbage. And I'm less than supremely confident that it will remain functional for that long. But it does things my legacy 24mm lenses can't, so what are you going to do? :cool:

16. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Why should't it last forever? It don't has too much electronic in it. In fact, the only electronics in it is the AF motor and the electronic communication. The latter can be replaced easily and cheaply, the AF in twenty year old Minolta lenses still works in most cases - why should a modern SSM motor be any worse?

Maybe I'm a little bit too confident, but when some kind of electronic failed me, it always was within the first two months of use. After that time, where manufacturing issues usually show up, there's little danger imho.

17. Braza

Braza New to TalkEmount

Mar 22, 2013
    Thank to everyone! Just bought CZ 24 1.8 and 50 1.8 OSS, so now I can afford only Nex-6 body and I will go for it of course. :) I hope this will be a sweet trio. :)