1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

NEX-6 closing the shutter after 1 picture.

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Jonas Bergler, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Jonas Bergler

Jonas Bergler New to TalkEmount

Nov 7, 2012
    NEX-6 closing the shutter after 1 picture?

I've just had my new NEX-6 body and M-adapter arrive, I can take one photo but then then the sensor shutter (I assume its for cleaning or otherwise protecting the sensor while there isn't a lens in place) closes and won't open again until I power the camera off and wait 5 seconds.

Any ideas on whats going on or how I can fix this?

2. K6-III

K6-III New to TalkEmount

Dec 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Make sure it's set to allow for release without lens attached, as it doesn't see any data from your adapter.

3. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    ^^ that

4. Jonas Bergler

Nov 7, 2012
    I have already enabled that - without it set I can't take any photos.

Im seriously wondering whether theres something faulty with the unit, I plan on taking it into a store tomorrow and trying it out with a e-mount lens and seeing what the behaviour is there.

5. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Hmm, that sounds like faulty indeed :( have you tried in all modes ?

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    This may be a silly question, but is the battery fully charged?

7. Jonas Bergler

Nov 7, 2012
    Yep, I've also borrowed an e-mount lens of another friend this morning and it has the same problem. Time to box it up and send it back to the store I think. :(

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Sounds like it. Sad, but every line from every manufacturer has the occassional lemon.

9. Jonas Bergler

Nov 7, 2012
    Replacement unit arrived today - everything works on this unit :)

10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Bummer on the first one, but glad they got you a replacement!

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Good news. I was reluctant to offer this up before, but I will now.

The thirty-six inch drop test. This was suggested to me by a USMC radio technician while we were in the wilds of South Korea with a malfunctioning aircraft radio.

Whenever a piece of electronic equipment fails to work as advertised and all standard tests have failed to resolve the issue we recommend the 36" drop test.

Step 1) Find a nice flat hard surface. Concrete works well.
    Step 2) Hold the offending piece of electronic equipment over said hard surface at waist level.
    Step 3) Release the offending piece of malfunctioning electronics equipment allowing gravity to work its magic.
    Step 4) After impact pick up offending piece of electronic equipment and attempt to operate normally.
    Step 5) If offending piece of electronic equipment now functions- Congratulations! You fixed it!
    Step 6) If offending piece of electronic equipment still does not function properly- Oh well, it didn't work before anyway.

While I've never reached Step 5 personally, there is a certain satisfaction to be garnered by performing Steps 1-3. YMMV ;)

12. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Good to hear! :)