1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nex-6 + Central/Northern European Backpacking, which lenses?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by thcaleb, Jun 26, 2013.

1. thcaleb

thcaleb New to TalkEmount

Jun 26, 2013
    As of yet, I have not bought the NEX-6. Still trying to decide if I should get it with the 16-50 kit lens, or the 18-55 kit lens, or neither and get primes for the trip. I have a similar shooting style to and budget with cyberratchet but in addition like to shoot in low light, as well as portraits.

However, for this trip I am looking for 1-3 lenses that would cover most of what I can photograph. Any recommendations? I apologize if this is too similar to cyberratchet's thread (https://www.talkemount.com/f11/new-nex-6-owner-glass-should-i-buy-next-3690/). I didn't want to steer his thread in my own personal direction; but I'll gladly add my question there instead of here if appropriate.

2. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    You don't mention a budget.

Taking 3 lenses, I would choose

SEL 35 1.8
    - this would give me a versatile low-light lens. The Zeiss 24 or 32 could be substituted here but I think the SEL with OSS is great for low-light and can also be used for portraits in a pinch while still being wide-enough for indoor use.

SEL 10-18
    - everything wide. From landscapes to tight old roads.

Tamron 18-200
    - covers most of the focal lengths, I would want everywhere. I would choose the Tamron over the Sony because it's smaller and lighter. The Sony is supposedly sharper but form real world shots I've seen, I haven't noticed much if any difference.

I don't have two of those lenses.

From the gear I have, I would take the 35, the SEL55-210, the SEL16mm with the wide-angle adapter attached (easy to pop off when necessary) and either the 18-55 kit or the SEL 50mm (probably the 50 as I have no issues with cropping shots with my NEX-7). I would walk around with the 35 attached mostly.

3. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I would take 16-50mm as a general lens. A few mm in the wide end don't seem much but mean a lot when photographing buildings etc.. Then a f:1.7 legacy 50 mm (in my case Pentax 55mm/1.8) for portraits and low light situations. Then maybe a light weight 70/80-200/210 legacy zoom or 135mm prime.

4. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    For what its worth, I only ever carry two lenses for everything I do Zeiss 24 and Sigma 60. With the 5N and 6 I have quite a bit of scope for cropping so they can do pretty much all I need. Occasionally I "might" take the Sigma 30 with me but rarely since I got the Zeiss.

It depends on what you want to photograph, what quality you expect and of course budget. If budget is paramount, the Sigma primes come highly recommended in terms of IQ and value for money.

5. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    I second Changsa's advice.

I don't know what your requirements are for image quality but if you settle for decent speed, sharpness and colour, then the NEX-6 + 16-50 + 55-210 package should sere you right.

6. thcaleb

Jun 26, 2013
    My budget is least amount of money as possible. :D Realistically, I'd like to not spend more than $600 on lenses for this trip. I'm trying to get a used NEX-6 body without the kit lens as I've heard it engenders disappointment. The little time I played with it in a store I somewhat agree. I'd rather have the 18-55 kit lens that comes with the NEX-7.

For the trip I'm thinking now about the Sigma 19mm (or SEL 16mm - heard the Sigma is a better overall prime?), SEL 55-210 and maybe the Sigma 30 mm. I'm unsure whether I'm going to miss the zooms in the 18-55 range. 2.8 to 3.5 may not be as big a difference as I'm making it out to be either. Am I looking at this the wrong way?

I figure 19mm/30mm for landscape and indoor shots, low light evening shots with people. 55-210 would be telephoto and far portraits.

7. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    I certainly can recommend the Sigma 19/2.8.

I recently got one and I'm very happy with it. I was afraid of CA and border blur, but my copy seems to do a lot better than expexted. I get sharper photos and less CA than I saw in the samples I studied before buying it, taken with the same camera.

I guess it could replace a normal lens if you don't mind cropping a bit.

I got the 18-55 kit and it doesn't exactly float my boat. They do sell quite cheaply second hand, though.

For my shooting, I normally use wide and tele. But I know a lot of people mainly use normal lenses. So it's up to you how you want it.

8. thcaleb

Jun 26, 2013
    Are you using the new ART 19mm or the EX 19mm? I'm fine with cropping right now.

9. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    The EX. It was almost half price and I could not find any evidence of the Art being better.

10. thcaleb

Jun 26, 2013
    Thanks for the info. The EX prices look very attractive compared to the ART. The only thing I've heard is the internal motor doesn't rattle in the ART. Glad to hear the IQ is still excellent in the EX.

11. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    The IQ is really good in my copy. I couldn't knock it. For the price it's an absolute steal.

One more thing, the manual focus-by-wire is actually quite good. Normally, I don't like it because it tends to be sluggish, but this one is reasonably fast and accurate.

12. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    In my bag I carry 1628 with WA adapter, zeiss24, sel5018, canonFD551.2 with regular adapter and a lens turbo, Celtic135, and MD 70/210

On camera SEL3518

Depending on where I'm going sometimes I drop the 70/210 or the 551.2 with turbo because of weight.