Nex-6 battery performance

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by wpereira, May 9, 2013.

1. wpereira

wpereira TalkEmount Rookie

May 6, 2013
    Does anyone have some good tips on improving battery performance with the Nex-6? I did get a spare battery but I can literally see this thing chewing up battery juice by the minute. I set the power saving option to maximum but I don't see much of a difference in the battery drain rate. I suppose I could turn off the OLED view finder and just use the LCD but that would defeat the purpose behind buying the Nex-6 in the first place.
  2. Ike Junior

Ike Junior New to TalkEmount

May 10, 2013
    Just boutgh mine, and wonder to know how long it will last in a "trip day".

For what I have used till now, I can say it will last 1-day minimum.
  3. wpereira

May 6, 2013
    I doubt you'll see more than 300 pictures out of a single charge... I bought a spare battery and I highly recommend you get one too.. you'll definitely need it if you're going to be out shooting pictures all day.
  4. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    I always carry extra batteries.... Usually 3-4.

And that was with my 5n. Now that I have the six I will probably carry 5.
  5. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Yeah - The 5n with EVF burns through a battery. It seems it is always checking to see if your eye is at the viewfinder so it can fully turn on.

Battery also goes to hell if you are using the remote commander mode, as it never times out to go to sleep.
  6. wpereira

May 6, 2013
    Are there any settings that can help with battery usage? I took care of some of the obvious ones...turning down LCD and viewfinder brightness, setting the power saver to standard with a 10 second timeout, turning off Auto-review. Just wondering if there are any other settings that need to be adjusted.
  7. GaryR60

GaryR60 TalkEmount Regular

May 12, 2013
    Same as with any of the models, turn off the camera between shots.