1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

NEX-6 : Autofocus questions

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by sabesh, Jan 5, 2014.

1. sabesh

sabesh TalkEmount Regular

Nov 22, 2013
    Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
    Sammy
    I'm looking to do the following (if possible):

- How can I enable Macro in the "A" mode? (I'm getting out-of-focus images when I get too close. No problems with focus at the same distance in Intelligent Auto and Superior Auto modes).

- How can I adjust the focus point in Intelligent Auto and Superior Auto modes?

- How can I adjust the focus point in the Macro Scene Mode?

I've gone through the manual and can't find the answers to these questions.

Thanks!

2. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    Hi, you can't manually change focus point when using iAuto or Scene mode. The camera will always use Multi-point focus. It will also disable the focus setting in the menu. The only way to do it is by using manual focus.

As for why your image is out of focus when using A mode, I can only think of 2 things. Either you are too close (closer than the lens minimum focus capability) or the aperture is too big (NEX will always use smaller aperture in macro or auto mode, it will never choose the biggest aperture).

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    What Tabibito said.

Your probably trying to focus under the minimum focus.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Hi Sammy,

I am a NEX noob but I noticed that when going from a Point&Shoot camera, the minimum focus distance is much longer on my NEX-6 (I think this is just how these bigger sensor cameras work). It took me a while to adjust to the increased minimum focal distance of my NEX-6.

On your NEX you might need a macro lens to be able to get that short focal distance you are looking for.

Cheers,

• Like Like x 1
  5. sabesh

sabesh TalkEmount Regular

Nov 22, 2013
    Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
    Sammy
    Thx guys, but not sure if you saw what I posted above: "No problems with focus at the same distance in Intelligent Auto and Superior Auto modes". I think I found the problem (see below).

Thx, it's too bad that I can't change focus points in iAuto or the scene modes. However, it appears intelligent enough to correctly pick the portion to AF.

And you are right: I was too close to use the largest aperture on my lens (F/2.8). I looked this up and there's indeed a correlation between MFD and aperture size. See the section titled "LENS EXTENSION & EFFECTIVE F-STOP":

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/macro-lenses.htm

Stopping down to F4.0 resolved the problem.

Thanks,

Sammy.

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Glad you figured it out.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013