Nex-6 assigning parameters question

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by NickCyprus, Sep 26, 2014.

1. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I recently moved from using exclusively MF Legacy lenses to AF Native lenses so had to change how I assigned the quick buttons.

On the Nex-6 can the middle disp. wheel be assigned to different parameters other than the default ones? Specifically since I shoot in M mode the exposure comp. anyway doesn't work in this mode. Can it be changed to something else or am I stuck with a useless for me option?

Also, can someone explain why the AF mode doesn't work while in DMF?

2. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Pretty sure you cant reprogram the wheel which sucks because im pretty much always in manual and exposure comp is stuck there. Not sure what you mean by the af mode.

3. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick

I figured the same....sucks :(

I mean the Autofocus Mode (which sets either AF-S or AF-C). I noticed it doesn't work when in DMF but can't understand why...

4. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    DMF is a 'manual focus' AF aid which only works when you have the shutter half pressed. If you were to have the shutter half pressed in AF-C mode, the camera is always trying to adjust focus for you. Basically DMF and AF-C would work against each other so this is not an option. If you want to use AF-C, you have to set your AF mode to AF (Not DMF or Manual). I don't have a NEX-6 but my 5N behaves this way.

You could set your AEL button to focus mode so that you can switch to manual or DMF quickly if you wanted to get out of continuous focus.

• Like Like x 2
  5. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks for the explanation!

^^ That's a great idea! I already have AF/MF on one of the FN options ;)

Unfortunately my quick button setup is full while I needed to add atleast another 2 parameters - one of the unfortunate limitations of the Nex-6 :(

6. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    Does the NEX-6 not have the back Quick Navi mode on the rear LCD to adjust most parameters? I think the A700 have this as well. You might be able to free up some custom buttons by using the Quick Navi if it is not something you adjust as often.

7. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    On the 6 you can assign:
    6 parameters on the FN button (I have WB, Metering Mode, Creative Style, Flash Mode, AF Area and AF/MF select)
    1 parameter on Soft Key B (I have Flash Comp.)
    1 parameter on AEL button (I have Object Tracking)
    Toggle top control dial = shutter speed
    Toggle middle disp. wheel = aperture
    MF Assist is done with the focus ring while on DMF

As already mentioned unfortunately Middle Disp. wheel is fixed to the following: up = disp, left = Drive Mode, right = ISO and down = exposure comp.

I'm missing 2 parameters I'd like to have assigned: DRO/Auto HDR and AF Mode which unfortunately don't have more space to add :(