NEX-6 arrives in 6 hours...

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Aaronius31, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Aaronius31

Aaronius31 TalkEmount Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    As an avid GoPro videographer and photographer since the Hero1 released years ago, I finally am taking the dive into DSLR's (mirrorless specifically). Over the past year of wanting one and having to spend money on books and everything else a college student has to buy 1K miles away from, I finally got to order one. I hopped around from wanting the T3i initially, then to the 60D, 5N, and 5r, then finally smartened up doing hours upon hours of web browsing to find the NEX-6 is PERFECT for my needs (and more) and price point.

I am on a ton of forums, social networks, and Reddit, so just like you I hate reading first posts about people that are overly excited to get something when 90% of the time their rich parents bought it for them. So don't worry, thats not me and I'll be here for the long haul asking questions, providing video/picture samples, and giving reviews...all while being a friendly member!

To the point, I ordered a Sony NEX-6 Black with 16-50mm power zoom kit from Amazon WareHouse Deals in "Good" condition for $800 (their stuff is always in like-new condition no matter the rating, its usually just the box is ripped, they have a strict checklist as to what they'll sell). Coming tomorrow is a Fujian 35mm 1.7 with adapter for $25, along with a RainbowImaging NEX 3" LCD protector for $3.50.

Very happy to be here and will post an unboxing video! Yes, months after it came out and probably the 1000th one on YouTube.
  2. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Welcome :)
    You'll find the NEX 6 is an awesome camera, and mirrorless as a whole is insanely cool. I think youll have fun with the Fujian, it's a crappy 25$ lens but used within its limitations it's very fun and has a super poetic rendering. I sold mine because I have several other lenses in this focal length, but I remember it with fondness.
    You'll soon discover the VERY best thing about NEX is... this community (heck, Sony should actually be kissing Amin's feet for putting it together, because I know for a fact its a deciding factor for more than one of us to stick with the NEX system in the long run). NEX has its quirks (like any other system) but globally it's super cool and I think you'll have a ball with us.
  3. Aaronius31

Feb 25, 2013
    Thanks Nianys! Ahh, may have heard of Alizée...well I'm a huge fan and have all her CDs and a signed copy of one of her CDs. Anyway, back to what I was about to say. Yeah the Fujian definitely is crappy from what I've heard but will be a nice toy! Some more serious lenses I'm looking at getting is the Sigma 30mm, Minolta Rokkor 50mm 1.4 MC PG (i think thats the name), and some FD Canon telephoto lenses for some nice landscape and moon shots!

Any lenses you reccomend off the bat? What is in your lens arsenal that you use mostly on NEX?

And yes, the community already looks very nice and informational with what I've been reading as lurking so far.

Thanks again!
  4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Legacy 50 mm lenses have definitely most bang per buck. 28 mm lenses work very well as genera walk about lenses. 135 mm lenses work as medium telephoto. All these are very cheap. Then there are some decent 70/80-200/210mm zooms with decent image quality and much larger maximum aperture than long kit lenses (I will get the Olympus adapter today and I will test the Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm/3.5).

For me my most used lenses are 28 mm/2.8 (Pentax & Tokina) and Pentax 55mm/1.8.
  5. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Best 50ish lenses (and I've tested over a dozen I think !) : Rokkor 50/1.4 MC PG, Asahi Pentax 55/1.8 in PK mount.
    best all around lens : PEN F 38/1.8
    excellent short telephoto : Olympus OM 100/2.8
    small excellent telephoto : Olympus OM 135/3.5

Best native E mount lens (actually the only one I can live wit) : SEL 35/1.8. Not remotely as good a the PEN 38, but has the convenience of usable AF.

Lenses I didn't care for : SEL 18-55, 16-50, Sigma 30/2.8DN.
  6. Aaronius31

Feb 25, 2013
    Thanks to the both of you! Gives me a nice starting point then. As soon as I get my hands on theis cam...thousands of pictures will be born!
  7. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    Hello and welcome.

Some of us prefer nice modern autofocus lenses:) The two Sigma lenses are excellent (IMHO of course) as is the SEL50.
  8. Aaronius31

Feb 25, 2013
    Hey, thanks :) And yeah nothing beats AF for photos, I'll mainly be doing video using manual with peaking. Well I guess in between shooting vids I'll be doing photography. I'm going to have it on me at all times is what I'm trying to say. So yes, I will def be getting the sigma 30.

Well the camera arrived and the only visible things wrong was there was a 2in. rip in the box, and the plastic bag for the viewfinder piece was opened. Nothing aesthetically wrong with the camera at all :D Saved $100 wooh! Sadly I only got 4mins with it dead before class but thats good cause now its charging via an iPad 12W charger so it should charge as fast as possible.

Sooooo happy. Won't even know where to start :D
  9. Aaronius31

Feb 25, 2013
    Replacement arrives in 18hours...and I have nothing to do but wait!
  10. kaptnkain

kaptnkain TalkEmount Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    I recommend looking into a Rokinon 85mm F/1.4. It's great for people - whether you want to do staged portraiture or just trying to get a few snaps of friends. It's great at separating the subject from their surroundings.

And, as MF focus lenses go, it's great. The version I have (Cine, E mount) has a great dampened focus ring with a moderately long focus throw - a breeze to focus well quickly, on the go. And when it's focused, it's sharp - really sharp. It trades blows with the Nikon 85mm F/1.4G and Canon 85mm F/1.2L in the MTF ring.

It's a bit more expensive than the usual legacy MF lenses, but it's well worth it. Quality wise it blows vintage 85mm lenses out of the water.

And, if you're good, you can find regular Nikon F or Canon EF versions used for $250.

Check out my Flickr stream for some samples.
  11. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Not true, but to each their own I suppose.