1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

NEX 6 arrived today woohoo!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Orange, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Orange

Orange TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Well my NEX-6 arrived today and first impressions ... well, I made the right choice?
    A quick list after a very brief play with it,

FOCUS PEAKING IS PEAKIN' AWESOME!

There's a LOT of menu faffing/menu options, all a little bewildering to start with after my fairly simple old Canon EOS 30D. There's so many options & variables then I change something, can't remember how to change it back later on! But this will just come with familiarity.

The PZ lens is quite sweet, but it'll be up for sale this weekend as I'm a fixed aperture, prime kinda guy.
    I'm thinking Sigma 19mm+30mm combo, with a manual, old school 50mm later on. (I know it's "nifty-fifty, legacy glass" blah blah but I always find these "in the know" expressions a little too much for noobs! Oops, guilty, I mean newbies hahaha!!!
    Any other suggestions ideas for lenses other than the Sigma? Bearing in mind I could probably get £200 for the PZ, and have seen the Sigmas for £99 each - at the moment I can't afford to spend anymore than what I get from the sale.

Loving the feel and ergonomics of the camera itself, and its not as bad as I thought it would be in my large, manly hands (lol) after coming from a DSLR with grip, though time will tell. A decent wrist strap will probably help. However, it's me that wanted a smaller, more every-day useable camera, so it's all good.

Think that's about it for now. I'll post again once my memory card arrives (a slight oversight on my part lol) and hopefully put some pics up.

:)

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Congrats on the new camera. :)

3. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Don't sell the 16-50 short. It really surprised me. Go look at my A Christmas Carol thread. Really made some great low-light images with it.

4. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Oh don't get me wrong its a cracking little lens and I've read good reviews on it too, I'm just a fast prime/fixed aperture weirdo!!! I've just fallen out of love with most zooms, simple suits me better lol! I'll check out those pics of yours later too cheers :)

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Everyone loves new electronics!! Enjoy.

6. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Haha soooo true!!!

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Cograts on the arrival!! :)

8. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Congrats on your purchase.

9. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Congrats David it's an awesome camera !! I took ditched the 16-50 without any regret (brought the price of my camera way down which was very nice). You'll love the primes and will adore a manual 50 !!

10. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    That's the easy truth my better half don't seem to understand :eek:!!!
    Enjoy your new toy!

Starting to get jealous now that so many have the Nex 6 or 7 and just having a 5N myself...:rolleyes:

11. tanglewood

tanglewood TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 11, 2012
    +1

+1

+1

;)

12. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Thanks guys all very kind, great forum, I just wish it were busier but it does seem to be growing all the time!

Nianys - yes, I really am looking forward to the primes, thanks for the encouragement!
    :D

13. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Let's keep it QUALITY vs. QUANTITY here...

I'm going to keep defending the 16-50. A got a sweet black leather full never-ready case from China for $16. That and the 16-50 make a great grab and run camera for snaps of my boys, and day trips without the bag. 24-75 (35mm equiv.) is just a great range. I"m going to add a close-up filter to it for macros.

14. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, I admit that I was all prepared to be dismissive of it. But I'm finding it a much better lens than I expected, sharp and versatile, not to mention compact. I sold the 14-42mm PZ Panasonic lens on my old m4/3 gear. But I'm keeping this lens.

David

15. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Memory card FINALLY arrived today so had a quick play with my camera ... AT LAST!!!

All unedited jpegs, I don't do RAW lol!

Izzy
    DSC00697.

Selective colour test
    DSC00725.

Poppy
    DSC00765.

Izzy again!
    DSC00782.

Nothing special but loving the camera all the same.
    Hate the zoom though as I keep knocking it aarrgghh lol! It'll be gone soon anyway hopefully.

Attached Files:

16. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    ^^Lovely shots!!! Especially #1 with Izzy :) :thumbup:
    What lens was used? (kit lens?)

17. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Thanks Nick! All with the 16-50mm kit PZ lens.
    You'll have to excuse the out if focus "attached thumbnail" shot, I tried to delete it in edit and it out it there lol ... you can run but you can't hide hahaha!

18. MindTrigger

MindTrigger New to TalkEmount

Jan 10, 2013
    Cory
    Congrats! Mine just arrived yesterday, and I am still getting my head around everything. Love the size/weight of this form factor. My DSLR is officially retired.

19. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Hi again (I've just replied to your welcome thread).
    Yeah the size/weight is great isn't it?!
    I'm with you - there's a LOT of menus to get your head around!

20. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    NEX menus are confusing at first, because they do away with the traditional way of going things. But basically aside from the very long set up menu, others are short and to the point. Some you'll hardly ever need once your choice is made (I have image size in mind). The color brightness menu doesn't get much use either once you've assigned white balance and metering to custom buttons. So learning how the set up menu is organized will bring you a long way.
    I do have some griefs with my NEX bodies, but menus isn't one of them anymore.