NEX 6 and what lens ?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by justa, Jul 4, 2013.

1. justa

justa TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013

This is a bit of an new member intro too - so Hello to all :)

I recently sold my Nikon D5100 & 16-85 as I was tired of the bulk and weight.

I've looked at the Micro 4/3's and in particular the Olympus OMD and Panasonic G6 but I keep coming back to the NEX 6 as it has everything I want and good image quality.

My must haves are a viewfinder and a similar image quality to my old D5100 - the OMD should have this but I really don't like the handling of it and was surprised how much I liked the NEX 5R (I've not managed to get my hands on a 6 yet) the G6 is really nice and well specced but I'm just concerned that image quality won't match my D5100

So I find myself here ! I'm a bit unsure which lens to go for, I like the sound of the 16-50 particularly the wide bit which would match my old 16mm Nikon lens but I didn't like the electric zoom - I'd much prefer a traditional twist type slr zoom !

So any advice - anyone made a similar decision to change from a camera like the D5100 to the NEX 6 and what are my lens options ?

2. nightcapphoto

nightcapphoto TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 28, 2013
    Columbia, SC USA
    Stewart Grinton
    I was making the same decision not long ago. For me it was a D7000 I sold for my NEX-6. I'm very happy so far just by how small and compact it is. I bought a body and then purchased one of the black 18-55mm lenses from a 5r/7 kit, both lightly used from eBay. I got both of those for just under $700 shipped which I was pleased with. Battery life is the only disappointment so far but I plan to rectify that with an external charger and batteries. I'm still trying to decide on how much to spend (or not spend) on a Nikon-NEX adapter for my legacy lenses. Looking hard at the Metabones dumb adapter. But then there is the Lens Turbo too so... Decisions, decisions.

Anyway my wife thinks I'm crazy for getting rid of my nice Nikon gear but I am confident in my choice. Especially now that I have the unit in hand. It's a great little camera I haven't even come close to exploring the potential of yet.
  3. LightCentric

LightCentric TalkEmount Regular

Mar 17, 2013
    Saginaw, MI
    Andy Richards
    I can assure you that the image quality you will get from the Nex6 will surpass your 5100. I have been shooting Nikon Digital for years, including the D700 and D800. Prior to that I shot the D200 and the D7000. I have been blown away with the image quality the Sony sensor produces. I have the 16-50 lens that ships with the Nex6 and it is pretty darn good. If you are willing to spend some $, the Zeiss lenses that fit the Sony E-mount are impressive. I have been shhoting with the 24mm and 32mm a lot lately. You wont be disappointed
  4. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    I don't like the electronic zoom also, but it makes the camera smaller. You can check Trey Ratcliff's blog/post who just switched from Nikon to Nex:
    Hello Sony. Goodbye Nikon. The Story of why I am Switching from Nikon to Sony.

Also you can check the posts for e-mount lenses which shows you reviews/comparison scores. Primes are usually the best option:
    Photozone Sony Nex Lens Tests / Reviews
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ

First, welcome.

As to the built in zoom, it is there, but I never use it as I can crop in post production if the need is that great.
  6. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    I guess he means the power zoom (like in the 16-50mm lens) and not the built-in, totally useless 'electronic zoom' (i.e. in-camera cropping) feature.
  7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    The Zeiss line up is pretty good, just a bit much for me. The Sigma twins of 19/30mm are a great option, with a 60mm becoming available.

The 18-55mm is pretty decent, but don't expect much beyond basic shots.

The 16mm seems to be hit and miss. The nice thing with this lens is the attachments.

The 18-200mm is great if you can afford it. 55-210mm is what most go for, quite a bit cheaper.

There are also a feq others out there, and the list keeps growing.
  8. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Sigmas good. Zeiss gooder. everything else.........take your chance!