1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

NEX-6 and Minolta 5600 HS-D flash

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by addieleman, Jun 25, 2013.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Tonight I picked up a Minolta 5600 HS-D flash for € 135 to go with my NEX-6. The ADP-MAA adapter is required to mount the flash. Sorry, horrible phone pic, the NEX-6 is my only serious camera after selling off my µ4/3 gear. The only thing that's left now is an Olympus FL-50R flash which I'm going to sell shortly. You definitely need to try out before you buy, I went after another 5600 HS-D and though it seemed functional it didn't work on the NEX-6.

i-bKSSV5t-L.

Played around a bit for the last hour. TTL actually seems to work in conjunction with the NEX-6, exposure looks accurate and the lighting looks very nice too when bouncing. A much better experience than TTL with the Panasonic GH2 and the Olympus flash, where exposure was erratic. Other users on mu-43 had the same experience.

2. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    What a beast! Is there any way to fire that remotely, using a nex body?

3. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Yeah, it's not small. I'm used to handling big flashes on a camera, I always want a lot of power to be able to bounce with reasonable ISO. I've seen some writing in the (downloaded) manual saying that you can operate it remotely but I didn't do a thorough study of it. I'm a technical guy but I can't bring myself to delve into that sort of intricate system setups. I found the manual here BTW.

4. ajm80031

ajm80031 TalkEmount Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    I've got that same flash from my old Konica-Minolta 7D, and have the adapter on order so I can use the flash with my just-purchased NEX-6. The 5600HS is capable of being controlled remotely -- the system is set up so that a camera's on-board flash can send commands to the remote flash unit with very quick bursts. The question is, do the NEX cameras implement the flash control system? I'm pretty sure the Sony Alpha bodies continued with it, as their origins are from Sony's acquisition of the K-M camera unit, but I don't know about the NEXs yet.

5. Red Bull 2013

Red Bull 2013 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 21, 2013
    Hello and enjoy purchasing. I have a NEX 7 and all I asked here about how flashes work with him, but I do not get answers. Eventually I got a Yongnuo on Ebay + Tf 325 Pixel adapter. Now waiting to reach out and test it. But until then you could do some pictures to see the works? Possibly a picture but the camera and flash mounted handheld see how portable is it?Someone said that Nex's not really used with flashbulbs, the timing is up to 160, it can go up when synchronizing external flash is mounted?

6. Red Bull 2013

Mar 21, 2013
    No one says anything? or do not want to tell me ? :sad010:

7. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    It's not that people here don't want to help but more that they probably can't. The built-in flash of the NEX-6 isn't able to remotely control an external flash, you'll need a second flash unit, and I don't have 2 Sony-compatible flashes. Maybe it's the same with the 7, I don't even know if the 7 has a built-in flash.

8. ajm80031

ajm80031 TalkEmount Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    I received my flash adapter and my old 5600HS flash works perfectly when mounted on the camera. Unfortunately wireless flash (as worked with my old K-M 7D and the 5600HS) does not appear to be an option, as addieleman stated. The NEX-6 does not appear to have options for controlling the remote flash by using the on-board flash to send commands to the remote flash. From what I read, even with the Alpha cameras Sony changed the flash protocol when they released the A900 so that sort of remote control may no longer be possible with any newer Sony camera and an older flash like the 5600.

9. Red Bull 2013

Mar 21, 2013
    It works in TTL mode - Adi?

10. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    The Minolta 5600 HS-D with the ADP-MAA (IIRC) adapter works in TTL mode on my NEX-6, quite well I might add.

11. Red Bull 2013

Mar 21, 2013
    Thanks, good to know :2thumbs:
    Possibly if there are other colleagues who have other works TTL flashes and ask them to write and tell us their experience. Thanks again.