Nex-6 and Lightroom

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by NickCyprus, Dec 24, 2013.

1. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I just discovered that my Lightroom (previous version 3.6) doesn't support ARW files for my newly acquired Nex-6 :(
    And on top of that, LR4 and LR5 are only available on Windows 7 and 8. Unfortunately I have Windows XP...

Bummer :(

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Bummer indeed. Maybe you can convert the raws into DNG files (of an early enough version) so that you can process them in LR3.6. You can download it here, it's free and it runs on Windows XP (Service Pack 3).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    I'm in nearly same situation with my XP... No chance to upgrade my Lightroom... Fortunately, my old nex 5 and D90 are supported... And there are even worse things in the future - photoshop on clouds and so on.... Bummer.

Matej (sent from phone)

4. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I talked to my pc guy and he's coming over tomorrow for an Windows 7 upgrade and LR5 installation :)

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    LR5 has some very nice new tools, and is worth the price of admission, IMO. I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll do with it (and the NEX-6!).

• Like Like x 1
  6. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Fully agree, I wouldn't even want to go back to LR4 and that was the version that finally got me to start using Lightroom as my main photo application.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I was hoping to be able to leapfrog over LR5 but wound up having to upgrade in order to preserve my cherished workflow with the new A7. (Well played, Adobe…)

Having bit the bullet, I concur with David - the super handy, super effective new healing tool is absolutely worth having!

Knock on wood, I hope my CPU holds up for another couple of years. (I now set aside $25-$30 a month so I'll be prepared when my machine hits 4 years of age…)

• Like Like x 1
  8. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce
    After installing LR 5 make certain to upgrade to 5.3.
    bjw

• Like Like x 1
  9. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Another question:

I also re-installed my previous version Lightroom (3.6) on my PC after I upgraded to Windows 7 and now my libraries are gone.
    Is there a way to bring back my libraries? On my old Lightroom I always backed-up my libraries every week and when I formated my PC I saved those back-up files to an external hard drive...

10. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I guess you mean the Lightroom catalog? First copy your latest catalog (something like Lightroom... Catalog.lrcat) to a suitable location on your PC's hard drive. Then open that catalog in Lightroom.

i-8z6PjgW-L.jpg

After that, Lightroom will open that catalog by default when starting up.

• Like Like x 1
  11. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I imported my catalog (latest backup) and I can see all the photos but not the edit history to each photo...:(

12. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Don't know what's going on with that... Maybe someone can help out?