1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nex-5rk

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Alexsus, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Alexsus

Alexsus New to TalkEmount

Dec 4, 2012
    Hello..

I just got my NEX-5RK yesterday and oh my god it is so awesome.

i already own a lot of Canon pro gear an got this NEX for a holiday, party, casual thing camera, and from the moment I unpack it till now I haven't been able to let go of it, not even to eat.

I'm looking forward to play a loot with it and I hope I can get some good advise for getting the best out of this little bad boy.

/Alex

2. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    How's the AF?

3. Alexsus

Dec 4, 2012

It's good, not as good as a DSLR but it's close.

the only thing I'm a bit annoyed about, as it uses battery, is that even when the camera is set to single shoot autofocus it prefocused all the time anyway, so by just moving the camera around it focuses but in a way like an smartphone focuses and not as fast as it normally focuses when you press the shutter button halfway down.

I'll trie and record a video showing it.

but other then that it's just perfect to me.

4. Alexsus

Dec 4, 2012
    Heres a video showing it…

[video=youtube_share;9nAbFxa_pBE]http://youtu.be/9nAbFxa_pBE[/video]

5. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Congratulations.

What's the difference between the NEX 5R and the 5RK?

6. Alexsus

Dec 4, 2012
    I have tried turning off all the auto features, such as face detection and auto framing and all that but it made no difference.

it's a little stupid as the camera uses battery when constantly focusing, but perhaps it's a kind of anticipating focus feature to make it focus faster when you press the shutter button halfway.

7. Chuck Lawson

Chuck Lawson TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2012
    Dallas area
    I think the 5RK indicates that it comes with the kit lens.

8. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I guess different people have different expectations. I tried the AF on my 6 again last night, really trying to like it, and I'm sad to report I find it really pathetic... At least indoors.
    I love the camera despite this, but that's definitely its bigger weakness.

9. Alexsus

Dec 4, 2012
    Thanks and it comes with the SEL 18-55 f3.5-5.6

10. Alexsus

Dec 4, 2012
    That's unfortunate that it disappoints you, my 5R is almost, but not always, as quick as my canon 7D with a f4 70-200L indoors. But that said the NEX series cameras are consumer products and not semipro or pro products, and there need to be some distance between the different classes, and sadly one of the places to save money is on autofocus, and what abuse the camera can take.

I think of the NEX series as cameras that allow you to be more creative but not necessarily better then a DSLR can, just more convenient as they are smaller.

11. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    One of the ways the NEX focuses "faster" is to begin focussing as soon as you start to compose a shot. While you're determining composition, it is starting to range in. Good idea in theory...

12. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    Got mine today too, swapped the 5N for a 5R. Waiting for the battery to charge :(

13. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    My 5N only does that when I'm on Sports Mode and Video Mode. On any other setting, it only focuses when I press the shutter halfway down. So did Sony lock the focus feature on constant on the 5R for good??

14. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Same on my 1st gen 5 too...

15. Alexsus

Dec 4, 2012
    the only way I can get it to not do that prefocus thing is with manual focus selected.

every other setting seems to make it prefocus. But I'm paling a lot at the moment and it's beginning to bother me less and less for every shot I take… out of 120 shots only 2 where out of focus, and it's because theres almost no light, running ISO3200 and it still focusing on almost every shot right away when the shutter button is pressed halfway down.. I get more and more impressed by this camera, it's so fun and opens a whole new way of taken photos….

16. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    yeah so i have the nex5rk too :p

17. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    My Sony A37 does the continuous AF thing too - even when set to AF-S (single) not AF-C (continuous) - was really annoying last weekend as I was using an old Minolta AF lens which is quite noisy when it focuses, so I had to keep turning the camera off and on between shots as it was trying to focus on the ground or me as I carried it around and as the ground was closer than the minimum focus distance it was making quite a racket as it struggled and failed to find focus! :mad: Maybe I just haven't figured out how to turn it off yet though? ;)

18. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    have used the minimal focus distance ? it's 0.25mm, mine works great, is true a little slow the AF, if we compare with an SLR, but it works very well, I would say more than good.

In this sense, is matured 5R than the other model's , the new hybrid approach is fast and switching between phase and contrast AF remains completely unnoticed.

Well it would be if when activated by pressure could be put on the screen is the focus separately, but the focus is coupled to the trigger to be activated the way you work better.

19. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    The minimum focus distance is the shortest distance at which a lens can focus. In the case of digital SLR cameras, the distance to the subject is measured from the focal plane mark on the camera body, not from the front of the lens.

I think you lost something there,.

20. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin TalkEmount Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    That autofocus behaivour sounds quite bizarre. Good to have the option of course, but the inability to turn it off would drive me mad.