1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

NEX-5R / NEX-6 - How is the top dial implemented?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Poki, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    So, we now have NEX-cameras with a additional dial at the top. But as far as I have seen, it always has exactly the same function as the back dial. So, in Aperture priority for example, both dials control the aperture. When you press down, both dials control the exposure compensation. Is this right?

'Cos if yes, isn't the top dial pointless? I was quite impressed when trying out the NEX-7 because I was able to change every setting (ISO, aperture & exp. comp.) without pressing a button. With two dials, it should be possible to at least change two settings with two dials, right?

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Noticed that too. But when the mode is set to M, the top dial controls the aperture and the back dial sets the shutter speed. But I agree, it would be nice if you could control exposure compensation with the top dial, e.g. when using manual lenses where the aperture isn't controllable anyway. In general, it's a bit disappointing that use of the dials isn't programmable.