Nex 5R Lag

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by alex2k5, Apr 9, 2014.

1. alex2k5

alex2k5 New to TalkEmount

May 19, 2012
    First time posting, long time lurker. Nex user since 2011. Hi!

Hope my fellow nex users can help me out here. (video of problem below)

Having a weird issue with Nex 5R. Started this weekend in the middle of a day of shooting. Getting what appears to be processing lag of some sort, like the camera is busy. This happens after a focus lock, even if you choose not to take the picture, and after a picture is taken. The right side of the menu screen where it says "MENU" and "MODE" disappears when taking a shot, that is normal. But it does not come back to view until significantly longer than it should, like it is busy doing something. If you focus lock by half pressing the shutter, and let go because you choose not to take the shot, it stays focus locked. An abnormal, too-long amount of time can pass between letting go and being able to half press and re-focus again. This lag time is different each press.

I don't know what triggers it. This randomly happens for a while, then returns to normal. Very frustrating when trying to shoot rapidly, get multiple shots at different focus points.

Key points people will probably ask.

Native 18-55, 30mm macro, and sigma 30 lenses.
    Native sony batteries, all at different charge levels.
    Had latest firmware from Sony for 5r, updated a month or so ago.
    Factory reset, still happening.
    Did not drop or harshly bump.
    Happened in middle of day of shooting.
    All/most extra processing features like smile and tracking off.
    Happens on 2 sec delay or single shot, didn't test others.
    Happens with center, multiple point, or auto focus.
    Auto review off.
    Happens on RAW, RAW+JPEG, JPEG FINE @ S,M,L.
    Happens on Manual and Intelligent Auto, didn't try others.
    Multiple memory cards, eye-fi Pro 8G and a Sony 32Gig Class 4.
    (yes, not the best, but it worked for a year on these with no problems, and randomly happens now)
    Sensor/lens cleaned, no smudges or dust (1 spec dust on sigma, inside)
    Bought this at a Sony Store that was closing last year, floor model.
    Do not have box, but do have receipt and paperwork, and I think it should be under warranty.

I've uploaded a video where you can see the behavior. In the start of the video it's happening, and near the end it's "worked itself out". Of note, - the time delay seen here is actually not as bad as it has been over the last couple days. But it is representative of it being "not right". Notice my finger in the top right corner, letting go and rapidly pressing trying to refocus. You can tell it isn't acting right because the "MODE" "MENU" sidebar stays black when not touching shutter button or doing anything. Near the end, this stops and it's back to normal.

So, any thoughts?

2. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    I see "multiple memory cards", but have you tried formatting one so it is "fresh".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  3. alex2k5

May 19, 2012
    I will give that a shot on the 32 gig one. Haven't tried formatting an eye-fi card, tho a quick search says you can.
  4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    I think my first move would be to reset to factory default settings. Sometimes cameras "lose their minds" and need to be rebooted as it were.
  5. alex2k5

May 19, 2012
    I did do that, that was one of my first thoughts too, still happened. Video above was after the factory reset.
  6. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    Before you reformat a memory card try database recovery from the menu, if you delete a lot of pictures on your camera it can get confused.

Oh and take that sticker off! its for demo purposes lol ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Hey, so you did, 4th item on the list of things you tried. Reading comprehension is not my strong suit obviously. :p

Looking like if formatting the card doesn't work the camera needs to visit the repair shop. :(
  8. alex2k5

May 19, 2012
    I'll try that too. And yeah, I guess I should get rid of the sticker.

:( It was back to normal near the end of that video, hopefully it stays that way this time. Gonna jump into a shoot in a bit, I guess we'll find out.

Thanks for all the help everyone. If anyone else thinks of anything, feel free.