1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

NEX 5R in bright sunlight - disaster!

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Nick, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Nick

Nick TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 7, 2013
    Dorset, England
    Nick
    I went to the local (Bournemouth) air show yesterday. It's a great show over the seaside and as usual I took my current camera. A 5R
    I went with my son who has a Canon 650D and a good medium length lens.
    I found that it was impossible to see anything as the sun was too bright and the lens too short. 18-55.
    Needless to say even the "point and shoot" pictures were a miss! 100 shots and I got one tip of a helicopter rotor blade!! :frown:
    The electronic viewfinder is really a lot of money for what it is and I saw this on eBay
    3 inch 2.8x LCD Screen Viewfinder Extender Hood for Sony NEX-5 NEX-3 NEX C3 5N | eBay

Does any member have one and if so what is your opinion?

I know you get what you pay for but in view of the low price it may be worth a gamble.

Opinions, ideas etc please

Oh and my son got all his shots but he has a DSLR. Maybe its time to change but I went the CSC route to avoid carrying a big camera.

Nick

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I know what you mean (I have a first gen Nex-5, thus no EVF not either as an add-on option) :(

I also use a pop-up screen hood with OK results

Did you adjust the LCD brightness to bright sunny weather???

4. Nick

Nick TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 7, 2013
    Dorset, England
    Nick
    Yes the screen was at max but the phase detect focus was on and as the lens was a bit too short the aircraft were very hard (impossible) to see so I had to shoot from the hip - so to speak.
    Good job John Wayne was a better shot or he would have been died many times!!!
    Incidentally during my several tours of duty in Cyprus - sadly long ago - I had a 35mm rangefinder which was great in the sun.

xXx1
    Thank you for the link. I'll have a look

Nick

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I too have a popup screen protector.

Love it:)

6. Nick

Nick TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 7, 2013
    Dorset, England
    Nick
    Davect01,
    Thanks for the reply.
    Does your screen protector fit the 5R and if so where did you get it from?
    Link please if possible.

Cheers

Nick

7. Mellow

Mellow TalkEmount Regular

Aug 18, 2013
    Florida or Wyoming
    Tom
    There's a difference between adjusting the brightness to "max" and setting it to "Sunny weather". Are you sure you had it on "Sunny"? I've been using my 5N here in Florida, where it is normally uber-sunny, and am quite impressed with how well the "Sunny" setting works. Admittedly the colors are wildly off, so it's kind of useless for reviewing photos, but for framing I find it quite usable, even in the middle of the day.

8. Utik

Utik TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Rimini, Italy
  9. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Yeah, I find the 'Sunny Weather' setting very, very good.

10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I actually have the F3.

The original 3 and 5 fit these perfectly. Some of the later models don't work due to curved edges. However you can simply use a bit of double sided tape or velcro.

As to the original item you are using, I have heard mixed reviews, (don't have one myself).

11. bopfan

bopfan TalkEmount Regular

Jul 21, 2013
    Worthington, Ohio
    Denny
    I have a C3 and the flip up screen does not want to stay on. Looks like it should clip on. But apparently not on a C3.....or at least not the one I have. It falls off if you look at it the wrong way. Too bad as it could be solution. Think the one I have came from RainbowImaging (????) and was under $10

Never knew about the "Bright Sunny Light" setting. OMG that makes a world of difference! Thanks for the heads up!

12. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    You are not using a lcd protective sheet (semi-hard) in combination with the pop-up shade are you???
    That combo doesn't work - doesn't allow the pop-up shade to clip on...

13. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I have the one with hard acrylic screen protector. The screen protector holds on very well but the hood kept falling of. I glued the hood to the screen protector with Patterson 100% glue (stupid name but excellent product, first thing that I managed to glue were scissors).

14. Nick

Nick TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 7, 2013
    Dorset, England
    Nick
    Hi, My 5R only seems to have the 'Sunny weather' setting and this what it is and was set to.

I have contacted a seller of the screen covers to ask if it fits a 5R as looking through eBay listings I can see no mention of anything to fit a 5R. Some fit 5N and some are for a 5.

UK New LCD Protector Pop-up Hood Cover for Sony Alpha NEX-3 NEX-C3 NEX-5 NEX-5C | eBay

I have no idea of the differences between these models when it comes to external fitments so its a case of caveat emptor.

No one so far has first hand experience of my original idea.

UK New LCD Protector Pop-up Hood Cover for Sony Alpha NEX-3 NEX-C3 NEX-5 NEX-5C | eBay

Still the thread is young and hopefully some one will have first hand knowledge, however I think the screen cover will prove to be a more workable solution until I save my pennies for the electronic viewfinder.

Nick

15. bopfan

bopfan TalkEmount Regular

Jul 21, 2013
    Worthington, Ohio
    Denny
    Nope. I do have a screen protector on it. But it is a really thin thin thin piece of clear flexible laminate....thinner than contact paper. Definitely NOT the semi-hard screen. So the screen protector should make no difference at all. I was thinking about using black electrical tape to secure the pop-up shade. but that seemed kinda cheesy.....about a half step up from using duct tape!

16. Nick

Nick TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 7, 2013
    Dorset, England
    Nick
  17. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    its a shame the sunny weather mode doesnt do the trick. its been super sunny in the UK recently, and i've found it really useful (3N).

18. Nick

Nick TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 7, 2013
    Dorset, England
    Nick
    Of course me being a KOS (Knackered Old S**t) with attendant eyes doesn't help!!
    I'm sure that a long lens with the subject large in the screen would have greatly helped but the 18-105 is not here yet.
    As a passing comment does this new lens (18-105) have internal zoom and focus? Hope so.

Nick

19. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Ya, the beveled edge makes it difficult.

As I stated earlier, double sided tape or velcro works perfectly.

20. Nick

Nick TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 7, 2013
    Dorset, England
    Nick
    Thanks for that.
    I have a query outstanding on one more pop up screen shade that looks pretty darn good
    JJC POP UP LCD Hood Cover Screen Protector For Sony NEX-5N NEX5N NEX5 NEX3 | eBay

I think no matter what they say I shall risk a punt.

Also I see that Digitalrev have the electronic finder for 209GBP so if I can find some one around here who has one I can try then I shall raid my grandchildren's money box and buy one.
    I'm running out years to be bothered about worrying about money matters!
    Thanks again
    Nick