1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

NEX 5R - Finally getting to grips with it......

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by christilou, Mar 1, 2013.

1. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    8519012694_45a866c634_b.
    Pink Again by christilou1, on Flickr

8517899791_12e25616b4_b.
    Gazing by christilou1, on Flickr

8517900175_df64a855be_b.
    Little Ro by christilou1, on Flickr

I got my new NEX 5R body only yesterday, it's a white one and I rather like it. I already had a black 5R for a couple of weeks and then sold it as I was going to keep my Pentax K-01. After some careful consideration, I decided that the NEX is better for manual lenses. This is mainly because of metering issues on the K-01. If I use A priority, the camera will only use the lens wide open and meter accordingly. If I use Manual, there's a stop down button but the screen remains the same and I was totally reliant on the histogram for exposure. I seemed to be mainly getting it wrong this way :( Anyway. I think I'll mostly be using my Pentax FA77 Ltd, K mount 55 1.8 plus the two Contax G lenses that I own. I've rescued my Sigma 30mm 2.8 from the for sale list as I'll be using this as my only AF kit lens. Hoping to find some more interesting subjects as the weather improves !

2. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Ah, they're very interesting subjects (I'm biased) and fabulous to boot! :)

3. christilou

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    Oh thank you, you might get bored with my daughter/dog pics eventually though! Did you get your new cam yet?

4. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I still see the distinctive Christilou style, and I think it's doing very well in your hands !!
    Call me a fangirl, but from a sheer IQ point of view I like it over the output of your other cameras...

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I'd say the 5R agrees with you, and you can't argue the results. :)

6. christilou

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    Thanks :) It seems to be working quite well with very few adjustments from me so far. I've decided to shoot RAW only because when I shoot RAW+JPEG Lightroom seems to want to split the pics into two halves instead of putting them side by side in the filmstrip viewer. Not sure why, I shoot several different cameras and they all line up happily two by two but not the Sony! I've only done some very basic setting changes but look forward to seeing what other people have found useful. Must get out more otherwise it'll be more dog/daughter pics.

7. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    I did get it Christina, but the AF is really not conducive to human subjects that bat even an eyelash in anything less than perfect light. (IMHO). I have participated in a little thread on fuji x that has peeps hot under the collar right now! Mine is being returned ASAP. :)

8. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    I think you should keep the 5R in your arsenal because the results look very good. Really like the flower pic.